Wondering what the Spectrum error code WPC-1005 means? Stay with us, to learn…
In this guide, we’ll unwrap what “WPC-1005” represents, when it occurs, and most importantly, how to solve the issue in a matter of minutes. We got everything covered, so let’s jump in!
The “WPC-1005” error code on Spectrum primarily appears when you have not set up the parental controls correctly or don’t have access.
You may also see the same error code if you’re attempting to restrict channels that are not included in your Spectrum TV lineup.
We’ve barely scratched the surface, so continue reading!
Spectrum Error Code: WPC-1005 – Meaning & Causes!
This error code occurs only on TV boxes and usually indicates that there’s a general fault with the parental control settings.
Attempting to adjust any of the parental control settings without having an admin or the restricted channel lineup is proven to cause the WPC-1005 error!
What does the “WPC-1005” Do?
In short, when you get the “WPC-1005” error code on your Spectrum cable box it means that your device is not able to use parental controls.
Hence, this Spectrum TV cannot set up viewing restrictions for sensitive audiences and it is not safe for children to view.
What Causes the “WPC-1005”?
- Your Spectrum account’s authorization is not completed
- You’re using an incorrect login username and/or password
- There’s a temporal bug/outage with the receiver/router
- Incorrect PIN while setting up/configuring parental controls
- The cable configuration of your Spectrum setup is incorrect
When “WPC-1005” Code Appears?
The WPC-1005 errors appear primarily after attempting to tweak the parental control settings or any of the restricted channels.
Also, if you notice any different pattern in regard to this error, try to recall an event or any change in the settings that might be causing the error.
How to Fix WPC-1005 Error Code Spectrum in 7 Solutions?
Tip: Follow our steps for a quick and easy resolution to the problem!
1. Unplug the Cable Box & Router!
The first and perhaps the easiest solution to secure error codes on your Spectrum TV is to unplug the cable box along with the Spectrum router.
The spectrum router is usually not necessary with the cable box, but if you wish to have internet access, it is mandatory.
How to Power Cycle Spectrum Cable Box/Router?
- Disconnect the power adapter on both the router and cable box!
Tip: Wait for at least 60 seconds for a power cycle and then reconnect to the power!
2. Reset the Parental Controls
If you’ve seen the “WPC-1005” by the end of your parental controls setup, it is likely that you’ve misconfigured the settings.
We will guide you through setting up parental controls on Spectrum service correctly, which will most likely resolve the error permanently!
Here’s how to bypass the “WPC-1005” error when setting up parental controls:
- Press the MENU button on your Spectrum remote.
- Use the ARROW buttons to highlight “Settings & Support”.
- Highlight “Parental Controls” next and press the “OK” button.
- Choose “Parental Control Settings” and insert a 4-digit PIN.
- Follow the necessary instructions to finalize the setup.
Alert: Make sure to save/write down the 4-digit code since you will need it in case you wish to adjust or cancel the parental control.
Incorrect code often leads to a “WPC-1005” error code!
3. Sign in via Administrator!
The “WPC-1005” also means that you’re not able to set up parental controls due to missing privileges.
If you’re attempting to set up the parental controls through an account that is not authorized and doesn’t have admin access, you will see this error during the setup.
- Use the login credentials to the Admin Account in your Spectrum!
Note: The account restriction is one of the essential features and can’t be disabled, since “WPC-1005”, indicates an attempt for setting change from an unauthorized account.
4. Check the Parental PIN
The Spectrum error code WPC-1005 could also be caused by an incorrect parental settings PIN.
In your first time-setup of Spectrum’s parental controls, you were prompted to write down a 4-digit PIN that is used for configuring/removing/adjusting the parental controls in the future.
- Verify that the PIN code used for adjustment and cancellation is correct!
About the Parental PIN – Important
Keep in mind that the parental PIN can only be changed from the Spectrum account admin on your service.
Thus, cable boxes with the “user” status and not “admin” will not be able to adjust the parental control settings, even if they know the correct PIN.
Forgot Your PIN?
Follow these steps to reset the Spectrum parental PIN:
- Go to the Parental Controls tab on your admin Spectrum receiver.
- Press on “Parental Controls” > “Forgot your PIN?” next.
- Insert your Spectrum account password and follow the steps.
- Ensure to provide all of the required details and information.
- Complete all steps to recover the Spectrum admin PIN code.
Note: To set up a new PIN, it will be necessary to provide authorization information!
5. Restrict Only Added Channels
The primary goal of parental controls on any TV service is to revoke the access of your children to inappropriate channels.
The “WPC-1005” error code could also occur if you’re trying to restrict channels that are not added to your TV package.
Notice: To block/restrict specific broadcasts in the channel lineup of your Spectrum TV, the parental controls must be enabled first.
How to Restrict Channels On Spectrum TV?
- Go to the homepage of your Spectrum after enabling parental controls.
- Navigate to the TV guide of your Spectrum and choose “Channel Block”.
- Enter your parental control PIN to gain access to the channel lineup.
- Highlight a channel and press “OK/Select” on your Spectrum remote.
- Press “C” to save the channel to the blocked list the correct way.
Reminder: After adding a channel to the restricted list, only the admin of the Spectrum service will be able to view that channel.
6. Reconnect the Service Cable!
The error code you’re seeing on your Spectrum TV may also be caused by an issue with the signal.
If your cable box is experiencing a signal outage, the “WPC-1005” error code may be there to signal for the problem so it’s important to inspect and determine!
- The best way to resolve signal issues is to reconnect the service cable!
Where is My TV Box’s service Cable?
Your Spectrum cable box uses a coaxial cable to connect with the service outlet and then show the broadcasts by converting the signal.
There should be 3 cables coming out of your Spectrum TV box, one of which is the coaxial cable, supplying the service to the TV box.
Follow the steps below to safely reconnect the Coaxial – Spectrum service cable:
- Unplug the Coaxial cable from the wall service outlet.
- Disconnect the other end of the cable from your TV box.
- Wait for up to 40 seconds while the cable is unplugged.
- Reconnect the coaxial cable on both ends and then test.
Tip: Test whether the error will appear by entering the parental control settings and adjusting some of the features.
7. Reset your Spectrum Equipment
To put an end to the persistent “WPC-1005” Spectrum error code, we strongly recommend performing a reset on your Spectrum equipment.
This method is a dedicated utility tool from Spectrum available on their official website, which refreshes your entire Spectrum equipment.
Here’s how to reset your Spectrum equipment in easy steps:
- Sign in to the official Spectrum website.
- Press on “Your Services” > “TV”.
- Choose your cable box from the list.
- Press “Restart Equipment” > “Restart Equipment”.
- Optional: Go back to “Your Services” > “Internet” > “Router”.
When your Spectrum equipment has been reset, go back into the parental control settings, and test whether “WPC-1005” now appears.
If yes, then it’s time to seek professional assistance!
If you’re still here, and nothing helps, the best next step would be to contact Spectrum Support and share what you’ve already tried in this guide.
Simply tap on “Chat With Us” to begin a chat with a support representative to help you out of this situation by providing qualified support!
The Spectrum error code WPC-1005 can be easily fixed by carefully setting up parental controls all over again and checking if you have admin access. If the error is persistent, reconnect the service cable and reset your Spectrum equipment using the online tool.
Follow our blog for more helpful technical content!
Read Next: How to Fix Spectrum Not Tunable Error?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.