Reolink failed to obtain configuration information? Well, this guide will surely help you out!
“Reolink failed to obtain the configuration information” is an error that can appear on the Reolink mobile app or the Reolink computer client.
The message typically appears during the first-time setup and shows that the camera has been disconnected or fails to connect entirely.
To resolve the “failed to obtain confirmation” message on Reolink, you must inspect the camera’s power supply. We advise stopping your computer’s firewall (temporarily), disabling the VPN on your network, and resetting the cam.
To learn how all of this is done, continue reading!
Reolink Failed to Obtain Configuration Information – Fixed!
Tip: Follow the instructions in order.
1. Check the Camera’s Power Supply
The first and most crucial step is verifying that the Reolink camera’s power supply hasn’t been compromised or disconnected.
When the camera’s power supply is weak or disconnected, or the A/C is fluctuating, the unit will unpair from the wireless link, and you will see the message.
So, you must verify a couple of things to justify the power supply:
Bonus Tip: Power Circulation!
Performing a power circulation on your Reolink camera is beneficial, especially when you see the “failed to obtain configuration” message.
If the error appears because of a system bug, the camera will unpair from the app or client and remain unable to reconnect until a full restart.
To power cycle the Reolink camera, unplug the power cable from the outlet for 60 seconds and allow your device to discharge fully.
Then, connect the camera and wait to see whether the unit will automatically reconnect to the app or client, and if not, proceed with the following method…
2. Initialize the Reolink Camera Correctly
Another reason your Reolink camera can’t obtain the configuration information is a failed setup.
So, if you’re a new Reolink client and could not set up the cam correctly, you’re one of the many stuck on the “failed” message, so here we’ll learn how to set up the camera correctly.
Here’s how to perform the first-time setup of your Reolink camera:
- Go to the Reolink Download Center for a download.
- If using Windows, click on “Download for Windows.”
- If using “macOS,” click on the “Mac >” button below.
- If using a mobile, click the respective iOS or Android.
- From there, install the Reolink client on your device.
- Open the app or client and sign into the Reolink profile.
- Then, connect your Reolink camera to your WiFi router.
- Info: Use an Ethernet cable to connect both devices.
- In the app or client, press on the “+” icon “Add Device.”
- Find the camera by scanning the devices on your LAN.
- Tip: Click the “Refresh” button if your cam is not there.
- Select the Reolink camera and create your login details.
- Finally, name the camera and click the “Finish” button.
This is the correct way to add your Reolink camera to the app or computer client, and when you are ready with the steps, you should no longer see the “failed” message.
However, the camera may get disconnected even if you’re doing the initial setup correctly, especially if its already paired.
Important: Verify that your broadband connection is working and is accessible!
3. Factory Reset Your Reolink Camera!
If you cannot initialize the Reolink camera because of the “failed to obtain configuration” error, you may need to reset your camera to factory defaults.
The reset button on a Reolink camera is next to the Power connector and Network cable and is on a cable dongle.
Also, the factory reset will ultimately unpair and erase your camera’s config in the app or computer client, so check the settings and whether you want to preserve anything.
Here’s how to factory reset the Reolink camera in easy steps:
- First, locate the Reset button on the camera’s wire.
- The next step is to power off your camera entirely.
- Then, press and hold the Reset button continuously.
- While holding the Reset button, turn on the camera.
- Continue holding the Reset button for 10 seconds.
- Shortly, the Reolink camera will be reset to default.
Reminder: To set up and initialize your camera correctly, follow the instructions from earlier!
4. Deactivate the Computer’s Firewall (Client)
If you cannot connect the camera to the computer’s client and keep seeing the “failed to obtain configuration information Reolink” error, it may be due to an enabled Firewall.
Since both Windows and macOS computers have Firewalls, we’ve prepared a tutorial on how to stop and test temporarily.
How to Temporarily Stop Windows Firewall?
Here’s how to disable and enable your Windows Firewall in easy steps:
- First, click on the Start Menu from your Taskbar.
- Then, type “Firewall” in the provided search field.
- Click “Windows Defender Firewall & Security.”
- Click “Windows Defender Firewall Properties.”
- Set “Firewall State” to “Off” on all the tab profiles.
- Tip: Keep the Windows Firewall tab prompt open.
- After testing your camera, enable the Firewall.
How to Temporarily Stop a macOS Firewall?
Here’s how to disable and enable your macOS Firewall in easy steps:
- First, reveal the “Apple” menu from the top section.
- Then, go to the “System Settings” and “Network.”
- From there, click the “Firewall” and toggle to “OFF.”
- Test your Reolink camera and enable the Firewall.
If the camera does not show the error when your Firewall is disabled, you must add the Reolink client as an “exception” to your Firewall.
This will prevent any networking conflicts and will not affect your computer data.
Note: Many antivirus software apps may also cause the Reolink client to show the “failed” error, so temporarily disable them to test without it.
5. Disable the Mobile’s VPN Service (Mobile)
If you attempt to set up the Reolink camera via the Reolink mobile app, but the initialization keeps failing and showing the error, you must check for enabled VPN services.
- Many Android phones have an in-built VPN service, located in Settings > Network & Internet > VPN.
Also, an enabled VPN could be an installed app, which you must open and press on the “OFF” toggle to disable.
When your network is not under the influence of any VPN, you should retry to connect the cam with the mobile app and check whether the “failed” error will continue to show.
Tip: On computers, a VPN can also be a browser extension!
6. Reinstall Your Reolink Phone App (Mobile)
Sometimes, the entire problem behind the “Reolink camera failed to obtain configuration information” error is because of the mobile app.
So, the next step is to remove the Reolink mobile app and download the mobile client from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
Here’s how to uninstall and reinstall the Reolink mobile app:
- First, locate the Reolink app on your mobile.
- Then, press and hold the Reolink app’s icon.
- On Android, drag the icon to the Trash Bin.
- On iOS, you must select “Remove This App.”
- Then, open the Google Store or App Store.
- Search for the “Reolink” app using the field.
- Select the app and download it on the device.
- Sign in to the Reolink profile and pair the cam.
When the Reolink mobile app is freshly installed on your device, you may re-attempt to set up the camera and start using the device.
We recommend scrolling up and using the instructions in the guide to connect your camera to the app or computer client correctly.
7. Use a Different Ethernet Cable/Port
If you’re doing the setup correctly and everything with your equipment appears to be intact, you may need to switch to a different Ethernet port and try with a different Ethernet cable.
This error indicates a lost connection and appears when something with the Ethernet link is broken!
So, switch the Ethernet cable’s sides and connect the Ethernet cable to a different port on the router.
If this doesn’t work, try with a replacement Ethernet cable to identify the problem further!
Tip: For more help, contact Reolink Customer Support!
Hence, whenever a Reolink fails to obtain configuration information, then the cam has been disconnected, so you must perform a power cycle and a correct initialization.
Also, you must deactivate your computer’s Firewall/mobile’s VPN, and factory reset your cam!
Follow us for more Reolink content!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.