Is your Peloton Tread screen not working? You came to the right place to find the solution!
Peloton Tread is one of the best options to get a gym experience from the comfort of your home.
However, the trouble comes when the Tread’s touchscreen unexpectedly stops working, and the user is unsure what to do next.
If you are experiencing the same problem, this guide will help.
When the Peloton Tread’s screen is not working, you must check the A/C supply to your unit and inspect the table’s cable connections. The most efficient methods to attempt are the power cycle, cable reconnection, switching to another outlet, or resetting your tread.
Let’s dig deeper for more detail!
Peloton Tread Touch Screen Not Working? Here’s Why!
It can be very frustrating when you are ready to start a workout session and encounter a non-responsive and faulty touch screen.
However, before you try anything on your Tread’s screen to resolve the issue, you must first understand the possible causes of this problem.
Here is a list of common causes for Peloton tread screen issues:
Now that we have identified the causes let’s thoroughly review each possibility to troubleshoot!
How to Fix When Peloton Tread Screen Not Working?
Tip: Implement each step consecutively to save time and effort.
1. Clean the Tread’s Touchscreen
Sometimes, the touchscreen becomes unresponsive and doesn’t respond to touch due to dirt, sweat, or debris accumulation.
In this case, cleaning your Tread’s screen will help to achieve its full functionality and responsiveness, so we recommend not skipping this step…
Here is how you can clean the Tread’s touchscreen:
- Grab a dry and soft microfiber cloth.
- Carefully wipe the entire touchscreen.
- Ensure no wet particles or dirt are left.
Also, high humidity or exposure to direct sunlight can severely damage the screen and cause it to behave erratically.
So, ensure your Peloton Tread is placed in a cool and dry place without direct sunlight, liquids on its surface, or anything else with static electricity.
Tip: If possible, purchase a protective screen and apply it over your Tread’s screen!
2. Soft Reset the Touchscreen!
When facing an issue with your Peloton Tread’s touchscreen, one obvious and best practice is to perform a fundamental soft reset.
This method involves turning off the display for a while, which will reset the operating system and all services but will not delete anything from the unit.
Follow these steps to soft-reset your Peloton Tread in easy steps:
- Press the Power button on the touchscreen.
- Scroll and choose “Shut down” in the menu.
- Wait for about 10 to 15 seconds for the cycle.
- Press the power button to turn the tablet on.
This will reset the touchscreen and resolve all minor issues, such as slow responsiveness and frozen or stuck screens.
If resetting your Tread’s touchscreen doesn’t help, try unplugging your Tread from the power outlet for 5 minutes and plug it back in.
Important: The power cord must be fully plugged into the socket and on your Tread machine!
3. Inspect The Cable Connection
There is a good chance that when your Tread’s screen is not working, it could be due to a loose HDMI or a power cable connection.
So, check the cable connection, and if they appear to be loose, then disconnect and firmly re-plug them back in at each end.
Alternatively, do the following:
- Press the Power button on the touchscreen.
- Scroll and choose “Shut down” in the menu.
- Unplug the HDMI and power from the screen.
- Inspect both cables for any visible damage.
- Reconnect all the cables back into their ports.
- Lastly, turn the Tread’s touchscreen back on.
If your Tread’s touch screen still doesn’t work without any hassle, move on to the next step!
4. Check Your Internet Connection
Peloton screen entirely relies on a stable internet connection.
Hence, if your Tread’s screen is freezing, white, or not loading the server data, this could be due to a weak or spotty network or a constantly dropping WiFi connection.
So, if your Peloton touchscreen content is lagging, freezing, or interrupting, you must check the internet connection.
We recommend checking whether the same WiFi is working on another device, such as a smartphone.
How to Reconnect Peloton to WiFi?
- First, verify that your Peloton is working.
- From the top-right, tap on the Wi-Fi icon.
- Select the current WiFi and “Forget” it.
- Then select the same WiFi from the list.
- Insert the correct WiFi SSID password.
- Tap on the “Connect” button to go online.
How to Optimize WiFi and Internet?
- Unplug the network router for 60 seconds.
- Disconnect unused devices from the WiFi.
- Stop downloading, uploading, or seeding.
- Reconnect all the networking setup cables.
- Verify that your internet/broadband is ON.
Bonus Tip: Wired Connection!
If you didn’t know, Peloton Bike, Bike+, and Tread can be connected to the internet via Ethernet cable, a direct link to the router.
This way, you will bypass all the WiFi limitations, bugs, freezes, or other issues with the content of your Peloton device touchscreen tablet will no longer appear.
5. Update the Peloton Software!
Sometimes, the touchscreen problem is simply outdated or corrupted software, which often causes the screen to get stuck, freeze, or become unresponsive.
In that case, you can manage the situation easily via the Peloton app on your smartphone and update the operating system.
Here is how to update your Peloton Tread’s software in easy steps:
- First, open the Peloton app on your mobile.
- From “Settings,” go to the “Tread Settings.”
- Tap on “Firmware update” > “Update Now.”
- Confirm and press on “Update Firmware.”
- Finally, tap on “Finish” and “Restart Tread.”
If no update is available or your screen is still not working even after updating the software, you need to do more troubleshooting.
So, continue reading the guide!
Note: When you open the Peloton app, ensure your Tread is powered on!
6. Check for the Interference
This may sound strange, but other nearby obstacles can sometimes interfere with your Peloton Tread’s touchscreen and disrupt its functionality.
Remember that interference can come from nearby electronic devices or your wireless network.
Therefore, it is crucial to minimize the likelihood of interference as much as possible, so attempt to disconnect your other devices from the WiFi network.
Tip: Turn OFF all electronic devices near your Peloton Tread!
7. Perform a Factory Reset
Another best and most effective solution is to perform a factory reset on the Peloton Tread’s screen.
Remember that this step will permanently delete your saved exercise content and revert Peloton software to the default state to let you start fresh.
Here is how you can factory reset your peloton Tread:
- Press the “Power button” to turn off the Tread’s screen.
- Wait until the Tread’s screen is completely powered off.
- Then, push the “Power button” on the unit’s touchscreen.
- Push the “Volume Up” button before the logo appears.
- Scroll down and choose “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” tile.
- Press the power on the Tread to select and choose “Yes.”
The Peloton will completely wipe the data and reinstall the operating system within a few seconds.
Then scroll down in the on-screen menu and choose the “Reboot system now” option to restart your Tread’s touchscreen.
If resetting the screen doesn’t work, continue reading and try the next step!
8. Inspect for Physical Damage
Is your Peloton Tread’s touchscreen still not responsive after all the solutions above?
Then, you must inspect it for physical damage, which might have damaged the touchscreen of your Peloton appliance lethally.
If you notice any physical damage on the screen hardware, you may need to replace your Tread’s touchscreen.
Peloton offers a 12-month warranty on the touchscreen.
If your Tread warranty is still intact, contact Peloton Support for a free screen replacement.
Once you have a replacement screen on your hand, unplug your Tread from the power source and follow these steps:
- First, unplug the screen HDMI wire and data cable.
- Then, disconnect your touchscreen tablet’s panel.
- Next, undo the two or four screws on your monitor.
- Release the Tread’s damaged touchscreen monitor.
- Carefully put the new screen and tighten the screws.
- Plug the HDMI and data cables back into the screen.
Tip: When ready, you need to first calibrate the new screen by going to the “Settings” > “Touch Screen Calibration” menu on your Peloton Tread screen.
When your Peloton Tread screen not working, you will first have to soft or factory reset the screen and check the cable connection.
In addition, ensure the screen is connected to an operational network, the Peloton Tread is updated, and there’s no physical damage!
For more guides on Peloton Bike, Bike+, and Tread, visit our blog!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.