Orbi not getting internet connection? Well, there’s an easy and effective way to quickly take care of connection issues in your Orbi network setup.
There are requirements and instructions on how you must set up the Orbi network correctly, as well as many working solutions!
If your Orbi is not getting any internet connection, ensure that the service cable is properly connected and check if the latest firmware is uploaded.
If you’re still having issues, inspect your setup for syncing issues and reset the Orbi router/satellites.
Let’s learn more about the issue with your Orbi setup!
5 Reasons Why Orbi WiFi Not Getting Internet Connection?
- There’s a syncing issue between the router and the satellites
- Your Orbi router or satellite/s is having active power issues
- The firmware of your Orbi system is on an outdated version
- There’s a problem with the Orbi app on your mobile device
- The network/channel settings of your system are incorrect
How to Setup Orbi System Correctly?
If you’ve installed your Orbi system recently or you’re setting it up right now, you may have missed an important step during the setup.
When setting up Orbi, it is essential to:
- Connect both the router/satellites to power
- Sync the Orbi router with each of the satellites
- Choose a suitable (open) position for the satellites
Tip: If technicians placed your devices and installed them, it’s best to keep them at the places they are already set up!
Orbi Not Getting Internet Connection – Best Ways to Fix!
Note: To fix your issue quickly, follow our steps in chronological order!
1. Power Cycle the System!
We will start with something easy such as power cycling your Orbi system.
If there’s a temporal fault with the Orbi router or satellites, this is the quickest way to resolve the issue on your own, in a matter of minutes!
- While your Orbi router is turned off, the WiFi in your house will be offline!
How to Power Cycle an Orbi Router?
- Disconnect the power cable from the Orbi router.
- Press the Sync button 3-5 times for 1-2 seconds.
- Connect the power adapter of the device to power.
How to Power Cycle an Orbi Satellite?
- Unplug the power cable from the Orbi satellite device.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the satellite is discharging.
- Reconnect the power adapter of the Orbi into power.
Note: Make sure to keep both your Orbi router/satellite unplugged for a while to properly discharge them.
This can also help with high-temperature (or overheating) issues.
2. Re-Sync the Router & Satellites
If your Orbi router has unsynced from the satellites, it is possible that you will not receive an internet connection in particular rooms or places in your house.
To correct this issue, you must sync the satellites with the router again, in the correct way.
- Orbi satellites can only sync with an Orbi router using the “Sync” button!
Here’s how to sync a single Orbi satellite to your router:
- Place your Orbi satellite next to the Orbi main router.
- Press the “Sync” button on the Orbi router for 5 seconds.
- Locate and press the front action button on your Orbi satellite.
- Wait for your Orbi router to start blinking in blue and searching.
- Once the Orbi router finds your satellite, the blinking should stop.
When is the Sync Complete?
The blinking blue light on your Orbi router means that it is searching for satellites right now. Once the blinking stops, your Orbi router should be connected to the satellite!
Notice: Repeat the steps above for each Orbi satellite you have installed in your setup!
3. Reinstall your Orbi System (Orbi Mobile App)
To appropriately refresh the settings of your system without the need of configuring them manually, you must reinstall the Orbi system through the Orbi app.
The setup takes about 1-2 minutes on average, but if your devices are already placed and connected, maybe less!
Follow these instructions to reinstall your Orbi system quickly:
- Launch the Orbi mobile app on your smartphone.
- Go to the “Device Manager” tile by pressing the button.
- Assuming your device is offline, press on your Orbi router.
- Choose “Delete This Device” to remove the Orbi router.
- Go back to the home page and press on “Add Device”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to re-add your Orbi router.
Alert: Removing your Orbi router from the Orbi network setup will flush any configurations made in the mobile application!
4. Reconnect the Service Cable
Any temporal issues with the service of your Orbi setup can be resolved by reconnecting the service coaxial cable.
If there’s an issue on Orbi’s end or with the service cable’s connection, reconnecting the wire should restore the internet of your setup.
- Locate the coaxial cable going into your Orbi router and unplug it
Note: Keep coaxial out of your Orbi for at least 60 seconds before plugging it back in!
How to Inspect Orbi’s Coaxial Cable?
If you’re not certain that the coaxial cable used in your Orbi setup is functional, inspect the hardware of the wire.
Try to spot any visual damages, such as the bents of the cable or issues with the ports. A broken coaxial cable should be reported to Orbi!
Tip: If possible, connect the coaxial cable to another service outlet in your house, if you have more than one!
5. Inspect the Connecting Device
It is possible that your Orbi setup works correctly, but the issue is with your connecting device.
If there’s a problem with the WiFi feature on your device, or you’re not standing close to the router/satellite enough, you may not receive any reception and internet!
- Stand close to the Orbi router and check if the WiFi on your device will improve!
Tips for Fixing WiFi Issues on Connecting Device?
- Restart the WiFi feature (Settings > Wireless > WiFi)
- Reboot your device (Settings > Power > Restart/Reboot)
- Flush the network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Setting)
Alert: You should keep in mind that resetting the network settings will erase all remembered Bluetooth and WiFi connections on your device.
You will have to re-discover your Orbi WiFi.
6. Relocate Any Conflicting Devices
It is possible that a device is causing a conflict with your Orbi router’s wireless signal.
Also called “interference”, this can interrupt the signal your router transmits and prevent it from reaching your connected device (phone, laptop, PC, etc.)
What Devices Can Cause Conflict with Orbi?
Devices that can cause conflict also transmit signals or are blocking them.
We will review some household items that could cause interference and conflict with your Orbi router:
- Cordless phones
- Baby monitors
- Microwave ovens
- Other router devices
- Solid walls/furniture
Correct the Position of your Network Devices!
It is important to properly place your Orbi router and satellites. Make sure your Orbi router is in an open position and the satellites are at least 20 meters from the device.
This is the best way to correct the quality of connection with the devices paired to your Orbi network.
7. Restore Initial Settings on Orbi Router
The last step we could undertake to fix the connection issues in your Orbi setup is to factory reset the router.
If you have a third-party router, check the instructions manual or google online how to factory reset the device.
Alert: Keep in mind that the factory reset will erase all settings on your Orbi router!
Here’s how to factory reset your Orbi router easily:
- Locate the “Reset” button on the back of the router.
- Press and hold the button for 8-10 seconds.
- Let go once your Orbi router blinks in amber.
- Wait for the factory reset to conclude by itself.
Notice: You will have to re-add the Orbi router in the Orbi mobile app once it completes the factory reset!
Orbi Not Getting Internet Connection Arris Router?
It is important to notice that any compatible modem can work in your Orbi setup. Thus, you can use an Arris router with your setup, as long as it is connected via Ethernet.
The wireless Orbi syncing is only possible with an Orbi router!
Here are some helpful tips to attempt:
✅ Power cycle the Arris router, by unplugging the device from the power supply and waiting for 3-5 minutes.
✅ Disconnect the Arris router’s Ethernet cable and wait for at least 60 seconds while it is unplugged.
✅ Factory reset the installed Arris router, by holding the reset button on the back of the device.
Tip: It’s recommended to contact and inform your internet service provider about your intent to factory reset the Arris router!
Whenever Orbi not getting internet connection, you must first power cycle all devices in your Orbi setup and check the firmware.
If the issue persists, re-add your devices from the Orbi app and perform a factory reset on your Orbi or other model network router!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.