Wondering why is Orbi app not connecting? Well, there is a lot to unwrap so keep reading to learn all possible causes for issues in the connection between the Orbi router and the Orbi app!
The Orbi app may not connect with the Orbi router due to issues linking with the modem or another Ethernet-enabled device.
In addition, it’s possible that the issue is caused by a software configuration issue or that there is an ongoing internet outage or faults.
Let’s advance further and unwrap the causes of the problem!
Why Is My Orbi Not Connecting to App?
There could be multiple reasons due to which your Orbi router may go undetected by the mobile application.
One of the most probable causes is that there’s an internet outage in your home or the router hasn’t been set up correctly so let’s take a quick look at everything – summarized:
- Your router is not properly connected to the modem
- There’s a software configuration problem with the router
- The Orbi mobile application is outdated or misconfigured
- You haven’t added your Orbi router to the app correctly
- There’s an internet outage/your network modem is inactive
Setup Instructions – With an Internet Modem!
Plug the Ethernet cable that came with your Orbi into the yellow internet port on the back of the device and then into the modem.
This will transfer the data from your modem to your router and allow for extensive WiFi coverage in your entire household.
Setup Instructions – Without an Internet Modem!
Though most Orbi WiFi systems can connect with your existing modem or gateway, they could also directly plug into the wall outlet using a coaxial cable.
So if you’re not in possession of a modem or a gateway, connect your Orbi WiFi router directly to the outlet.
Orbi Router Not Connecting to App – 7 Working Solutions!
About Orbi WiFi Mesh System!
Before we start, it’s appropriate to clarify what your Orbi WiFi system contains and works like.
Orbi is a NETGEAR’s Mesh WiFi system that contains multiple connectivity beacons that spread WiFi throughout your house. There is also the primary Orbi unit (the router).
Note: The router unifies all of the beacons and creates your wireless connectivity system!
1. Re-Add your Orbi Router
Perhaps, you have failed the first-time setup of your Orbi router, thus it has not been added to the Orbi mobile application.
There are a couple of important steps you must undertake during the setup that could potentially leave your router undiscovered by the Orbi WiFi system.
Here are the proper instructions on how to add your Orbi router to the app:
- Download the Orbi application on your iOS or Android device.
- Launch the platform and sign in using your credentials or register.
- Once you’re logged in, press the “GET STARTED” button to begin.
- Press “ENABLE CAMERA AND SCAN” in the next, following tab.
- Turn the router upside down and scan the code with a phone’s camera.
- Select your Orbi router product and then press the “CONTINUE” button.
Note: The following steps should create an existing profile of your Orbi router in the application!
2. Validate the Phone’s Internet!
For adding your Orbi router to the application, it is necessary that your phone is connected to the internet.
Assuming that you still don’t have a home WiFi and you’re relying on Orbi, it is completely acceptable to use your mobile data, to add Orbi to the application.
Tip: You could also use a family member’s or a friend’s hotspot for setting up your Orbi!
How to Check the Internet On Your Phone?
✅ To check the WiFi connection, head into Settings > Connections > WiFi and determine if your phone is connected to a network.
✅ To check the mobile data, launch the Settings app and navigate to Cellular > Mobile Data and ensure that the activation slider is toggled in green.
Note: If your phone is not connected to the internet, ensure you have enough mobile data or the hotspot you’re paired with is active!
3. Power Cycle Network Equipment
One of the most-effective methods is the so-called “power circulation” which requires unplugging your devices from the power to achieve a full discharge.
This process reboots all services and allows a fresh start, where hopefully, the Orbi app will be able to connect to the router.
How to Power Cycle Orbi Router?
- Locate the Power On/Off button on the Orbi router.
- Press the button and hold it for about 3 seconds.
- Unplug the supplying power cable of your router.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the adapter is unplugged.
- Reconnect the power cable of your Orbi router.
How to Power Cycle Modem?
- Unplug the service cable out of your modem.
- Disconnect the power cord from your modem.
- Wait for 50 up to 60 seconds next.
- Reconnect the power cable to the modem.
- Re-attach the service cable into the port.
Note: Wait for the full 60 seconds before reconnecting your devices!
4. Update the Orbi Application
If the Orbi app’s firmware is outdated, it is possible that this is causing the connection to throttle.
Using an application with an unsupported firmware version for too long may also reflect on the functionality of the platform and cause an onset of compatibility as well as pairing issues.
How to Update the Orbi App On Android?
- Launch the Google Play store on your Android device.
- Select your profile icon located on the top right of the page.
- Choose “Manage apps & device” from the options below.
- Scroll down and locate the Orbi app throughout the app list.
- Tap “Update” to start the firmware update of the Orbi app.
How to Update the Orbi App On iOS?
- Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
- Select your profile icon at the top of the screen.
- Scroll to “pending updates and patch notes”.
- Choose “Update” next to the Orbi application.
- Wait for the process to finalize and for Orbi to update.
Alert: Do not interfere with the Orbi application on your device once it has started!
5. Deactivate Interfering VPN Services
In case the Orbi app not connecting, perhaps there is a VPN is activated on your mobile device, this could potentially block the Orbi app’s connection.
While an active VPN is altering your device’s location, your phone may be unable to search for devices in your local network!
Some Androids and all iOS devices have an in-built VPN that can be enabled, so to check if the default VPN is activated, go to Settings > Location > VPN.
Note: Third-party VPN applications are also available for both Android and iOS devices so ensure to deactivate yours before testing the Orbi as well.
6. Sync your Router with the Beacons
Though this is a setup you must undertake later, syncing your primary Orbi router with all of the connectivity beacons is essential in achieving proper WiFi coverage in your home.
If the beacons are placed too far apart or too far away from the router, the connection will fail.
- The Orbi app may not connect if the router is not synced with the beacons!
Here’s how to sync your Orbi router with the beacons:
- Locate and press the large Sync button on the back of your Orbi router.
- Within 2 minutes, press the “Sync” button on your Orbi beacon device.
- (Optional) Repeat for each beacon added to your Orbi mesh network.
Info: Pressing the sync button on your Orbi router allows the device to search extensively for beacons that are not yet added to the wireless profile, for the next 2 minutes!
7. Factory Reset your Orbi System
If you’re still having issues with connecting the Orbi app with your mesh system, then we strongly recommend factory resetting your Orbi system.
It’s a quick way to take care of issues with the functionality of your Orbi router, as well as all of the beacons adding to the mesh!
- To perform a factory reset on your Orib system, you will need a paper clip!
Follow these instructions to factory reset your Orbi router:
- Locate the reset pinhole on the back panel of your Orbi.
- Using your paperclip or a similar in size object, reach in.
- Press the reset button inside the hole for about 15 seconds.
- Wait for the Orbi device to blink in an amber color and release.
- (Optional) Repeat for each Orbi device included in the setup.
Info: Once the amber blinking on your Orbi device has ended, it means that the factory reset has been completed and your Orbi is ready to connect.
We’ve learned that when the Orbi app not connecting, the best thing to do is power cycle your equipment ahead of everything and inspect all cable connections.
The next step is to reinstall the Orbi application from your mobile device and factory reset the Orbi mesh!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.