If you’re facing a Linksys router no internet connection issue, well, you’re not alone!
There had been numerous reports by users stating that their Linksys router either randomly lost internet connection or didn’t connect automatically right after the setup.
So, in this guide we will help you diagnose the problem and, of course, provide you with many working solutions.
When Linksys router can’t connect to the internet, first check if all cables are connected securely and perform a power cycle on the entire network equipment.
Next, ensure that the MAC address filtering is deactivated, and finally with a factory reset on the Linksys!
Keep reading to uncover all details!
Why Does Linksys Router Says No Internet Connection?
When your Linksys router keeps saying “no internet connection”, there could be quite a few factors involved.
This is why the very first step should be to uncover all possibilities individually:
- Activated MAC address filtering feature.
- A problem with the network equipment.
- Misconfigured router security settings.
- Malfunction with the network modem.
- A temporary problem on Linksys’s end.
- Outdated firmware of the Linksys router.
- Subscription fee/billing cycle problems.
Linksys Router No Internet Connection – Fix in 7 Methods!
1. Power Cycle Network Equipment
To resolve any issues related to the Linksys router, modem, or third-party connected device, we will perform a power cycle process.
The power cycle is a type of reset that does not erase any of the settings/software information on the Linksys router, but refreshes the hardware/software!
How to Power Cycle Linksys Router?
- Linksys routers do not have a power button!
- Unplug the router from the electrical wall outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds while the device is unplugged.
- Reconnect the power adapter of the router.
- Wait for all router lights to turn in green.
- Check if there’s an internet connection now.
How to Power Cycle Network Modem?
- Your Linksys router needs a modem to supply the local network!
- (Optional) Press the power button of the modem.
- Wait until the modem turns off and all lights go off.
- Disconnect the power cable of the network modem.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the modem is unplugged.
- Reconnect the power adapter to the power outlet.
How to Power Cycle Ethernet Devices? (Optional)
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the third-party device and router.
- Start a reboot on the connected device through the power settings.
- Wait for the third-party device to shut down and then restart.
- Reconnect the Ethernet cable to the back of the connecting device.
- Plug the other end of the cable into the Linksys router device.
Note: Keep in mind that Linksys routers are capable of both manual and automatic updates!
2. Update the Firmware of the Router
Outdated Linksys router firmware is what could potentially cause the connection problem on the network device.
This method will uncover how to conduct a firmware update process on your Linksys router and resolve the connection problem at once!
How to Update Linksys Router Through Browser?
- The web address of your Linksys router is “myrouter.local”
- Go to “myrouter.local” through a router-connected device.
- Navigate to the “Connectivity” tab and press on “Basic”.
- Under “Firmware Update”, press on “Check for Updates”.
- Click on the “Click Here” button then press “Yes” > “OK”.
How to Update Linksys Router Manually?
- To manually upgrade a Linksys router, you must download the update package!
- Access the Linksys Website via Ethernet-connected PC/laptop.
- Click on “Support” and locate the update file for your Linksys router.
- Access the web GUI of the router with “myrouter.local” in the browser.
- Navigate to Connectivity > Basic and then click on “Choose File”.
- Select the firmware file you downloaded to your device earlier.
- Once selected the file, choose “Start” and confirm by clicking “Yes”.
Note: Once the Linksys router is finished upgrading manually, press “OK” to finish!
3. Deactivate the MAC Address Filter!
The MAC filtering of your Linksys Wi-Fi router can both prevent or allow access to the network using this type of unique identifier.
It is a wireless security option that you can use on the router, instead of establishing a Wi-Fi password to keep the network safe at all times.
Note: An activated MAC address filtering may cause connectivity issues with the router!
Follow these instructions to deactivate the MAC address filter for the Linksys router:
- Access the web GUI of the router at “myrouter.local”.
- Navigate to “Device” and click on “Local Network”.
- Select the LAN interface and press the “Edit” button.
- Click “Advanced” and select “Disable MAC filtering”.
- Save all of the changes and exit the web GUI of the router.
Note: We recommend rebooting your Linksys router after the configuration has been made!
4. Reconnect the Service Modem!
If there was a problem with transferring the connectivity information from the modem to the router, your Linksys router will display “no internet connection”.
To effectively refresh the service connection of the Linksys router, you must unplug it from the modem temporarily.
Unplug the modem’s Ethernet cable from the back of the Linksys router and wait for 60 seconds while the router doesn’t have service.
Once 60 seconds have passed, reconnect the Ethernet cable belonging to the modem back into the Linksys router and test the connection.
Note: The Ethernet cable plugs into a free “LAN” port on the modem and into the “yellow” port of the Linksys router, which is the service entry port.
5. Inspect the Wiring Configuration
The cable configuration of a Linksys router setup is relatively easy to understand and can be managed by non-technical users.
However, you should still be on the lookout for any damaged cables, defective connectors, or potential hardware issues with the router or the modem!
What Wiring to Inspect in Linksys Router Setup?
- The Ethernet cable that connects the Linksys router to the modem.
- The Ethernet cable that connects a third-party device to the router.
- The service (coax) cable that connects the modem with the outlet.
- The power cables of both devices that connect them to the power.
How to Identify Faulty Wiring in Linksys Setup?
When inspecting the cables, try to spot cuts, rips, or exposed wires on the setup cables. You should also examine the connectors of the Ethernet cables and whether the switches are still intact.
If the connector switch on the Ethernet cable is bad, it won’t connect securely.
Alert: If any of the cables are damaged, replace them to fix the issue with the Linksys router!
6. Factory Reset the Linksys Router
To put an end to the persistent connectivity issues of the Linksys router, proceed by performing a factory reset on the device.
This process will revert the router to the original factory settings, erasing all customized configurations, personalized settings, network names, and passwords.
Here’s how to conduct a factory reset on the Linksys router:
- Double-check if the Linksys router is connected and on.
- Using a paperclip, press the Reset button on the back.
- Hold the button for 10-15 seconds and then release.
- Unplug the power adapter of the router for 10 seconds.
- Reconnect the cable of the router and set it up again.
Note: In case of any Linksys router setup faults, continue with the guide below!
How to Fix When Linksys Router Setup No Internet Connection?
If your Linksys router doesn’t have an internet connection right after the setup, it could be due to misconfigured functionality settings.
This often happens when inexperienced users attempt to create the network establishment of the Linksys router or miss out on essential settings.
Wait for the Linksys Activation
It may take Linksys a while to complete the activation of the Linksys router after installing it with the service modem.
Wait for 1 up to 2 hours and determine if Linksys will activate the router remotely, without you doing anything.
Verify the Linksys Subscription
If there was a problem with processing your subscription at Linksys, the router may be offline immediately after the setup.
So, navigate to the official website of Linksys and sign in using the provided credentials. Then you could also use iTunes or Google Play to pay.
Contact Linksys Support for Help!
If you’re experiencing connectivity issues with the router right after the setup could be Linksys’ fault.
Navigate to the Linksys Support Page and press on either “Get Started” underneath the phone call icon, or “Start Live Chat”.
Alternatively, get help at Reddit at “r/LinksysOfficial”!
Linksys router no internet connection can be addressed by power cycling the network equipment and updating the device to the latest firmware version.
In case that doesn’t help, deactivate the MAC filtering, inspect the wiring, and perform a factory restoration!