Why is Instax Mini 9 not turning on? Well, this is a frequently asked question so no worries, we got you covered in this guide!
We understand how frustrating it is for you when you want to take pictures but your Instax mini 9 camera is not turning on.
You are not alone, because we have prepared this guide to help you easily resolve the issue with your camera without any tricky steps. So, keep reading…
Usually, the Instax Mini 9 does not turn on due to a power issue with the camera, which is caused by the batteries.
Simply reloading and replacing the batteries and checking for any other faults, will easily resolve the problem and make your mini camera turn on!
Let’s jump in further to unwrap more detail about the Instax mini!
Why Is My Instax Mini 9 Not Turning On?
If you press the power button on the front of your mini camera but it does not turn on, then there could be a battery issue, which is the typical suspect.
However, other factors can also prevent the camera from turning on, which is why it is crucial to identify all possibilities!
The following factors can prevent the Instax mini 9 from turning on:
- Incorrect alignment of camera batteries
- Using dead or incompatible batteries
- Dirt build-up on the battery compartment
- The camera is dropped or water flooded
- The battery chamber is not latching well
- A factory defective Instax camera unit
Now that we have got a list of possible factors, let’s troubleshoot…
What To Do When Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Not Turning On?
If your Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 is not turning on, proceed with the following ways to fix the issue!
Important – Read This First!
If you dropped your camera or had something heavy fall on it, it is possible that your camera has been damaged internally and that’s why not turning on.
There is currently nothing you can do to repair the internal damage to your camera other than purchase a replacement unit.
1. Try Pressing the *Shutter Button*
When you turn off the Instax Mini 9 camera and try to turn it on too quickly, the camera will enter a Safety Mode for a short period to protect the camera from damage.
So, if you’ve done this like that, pressing the shutter button halfway will quickly solve your problem.
Here is how to turn on the Instax Mini 9 using the shutter button:
- First, press the Shutter button halfway down.
- Wait for at least 5 seconds while holding tightly.
- Then fully press the Shutter button to take a photo.
- Your camera will automatically turn on and work.
In case your Instax Mini 9 still does not turn on, then there is something else causing the issue with your device so continue with the next step!
2. Reload the Camera Batteries!
In most cases, incorrect battery alignment in your Instax mini 9 camera will prevent it from turning on.
Therefore, all you have to do is to take out the batteries from your camera and reload correctly by following up on the sign’s alignment.
Here is how to correctly reload the batteries in the Instax mini 9 camera:
- Push the lens inside to turn off the Instax mini.
- Slide the compartment cover using your thumb.
- Then lift the cover to open the compartment door.
- Take out the inserted batteries from the inside.
- Reload the batteries in the correct manner:
- Make sure that the positive end of each battery should face the “+“ symbol and the negative to the “–” sign.
Info: When you’re ready, don’t forget to close the battery compartment cover and only then test whether the Instax mini 9 camera will turn on.
In addition, you can also re-attempt the trick with the Shutter button again, to check whether this will now help!
3. Test with a Different Battery Set!
Instax Mini 9 cameras operate only with Alkaline batteries and when a lithium pair is inserted you will often find the camera not turning on.
This is why we recommend checking whether the camera will turn on with a different, alkaline set of batteries for optimal performance.
- The Instax mini 9 camera uses 2 x AA alkaline batteries!
If you previously used Energizer batteries in your Instax Mini 9 camera, test with Panasonic batteries this time, or vice versa.
Furthermore, many users have reported that using different brands of AA batteries for mini cameras solved their problem, so make sure to give it a shot.
How To Replace The Batteries In Instax Mini 9?
- Push the camera lens within to turn off the unit.
- Push on the battery compartment door button.
- Then slide down the cover to open the panel.
- Insert the 2 x fresh AA batteries inside.
- Make sure the batteries are properly embedded.
- Then close the compartment cover and test.
Note: It is important to replace both camera batteries at once even if one is low in charge!
4. Clean the Battery Compartment
There is a chance that your camera battery compartment or contacts are dirty and that’s why even if you are inserting the fresh batteries the camera won’t turn on.
However, cleaning the battery polarities is easy as long as you know what to do and what not to do!
Here is how to clean the camera battery compartment:
- Open the battery compartment cover.
- Carefully, take out the inserted batteries.
- Gently clean the battery compartment.
- Tip: Use a cotton swab or cotton cloth.
- (Imp) Don’t use any cleaning solutions or liquids.
- Check the contacts for corrosion or damage.
- Reinsert the batteries and test the camera.
Important: In case the soldering something has given up, or the contacts appear to be bent, damaged or the spring is missing, the camera will not turn on.
5. Remove Any Lens Obstructions!
Another reason why the Instax mini 9 camera is not turning on could be due to an obstructed lens, which cannot move back and forward freely.
Well, this can happen when a sticky liquid goes inside the camera or simply something else is obstructing the lens.
- Push the switch and try taking the lens IN and OUT manually with your fingers!
When the lens is fully expanded, then check whether the Instax mini 9 camera will turn on after pressing the Shutter button.
In case the lens is freely moving but the camera won’t turn on, then perhaps the issue is coming from something else.
Let’s dig deeper!
6. Close the Battery Latch Fully!
If the battery compartment cover on your Instax mini 9 camera is loose and wiggling after it’s closed, then the batteries are surely not tightly embedded.
Simply inspect the cover because the loose cover will prevent the batteries from making contact with the battery contacts!
You can manually hold the batteries tightly, using your fingers while pressing the Shutter button to check whether the camera will turn on.
In addition, try applying the Shutter button trick while applying force to the battery compartment cover to keep the batteries embedded in place.
Reminder: Find the detailed steps for the Shutter button tricks in the first step of the guide!
7. A Bad Film Cartridge Installation
When the film pack is not properly installed into the Instax mini 9 camera, it’s highly likely that the device will not turn on, even when the batteries are working.
This is why the final step would be to re-insert the film cartridge into the camera and check whether this will help!
Here’s a guide on how to properly install a film cartridge in the Instax mini 9 camera:
- Open the back of the Instax mini 9 camera!
- Insert the film cartridge by aligning the yellow mark.
- Firmly close the camera until you hear a click.
- Push down the lower switch to pop out the lens.
- The flash indicator will start blinking and stop.
Info: If you’re unable to see any light indications on your Instax 9 mini camera, even with a fresh pair of batteries it’s likely that the device is not working.
Instax Camera Not Working?
The next step is to contact Instax Support for further assistance in regard to more solutions and help. For a warranty replacement, we recommend contacting the local merchant.
If your Instax Mini 9 not turning on, begin by reloading the batteries in the compartment, using a fresh set of batteries, and firmly closing the back cover.
In case that doesn’t help, check whether the film cartridge is properly installed and whether the lens is obstructed.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.