Wondering why your Instax Mini 11 photos coming out black? Let’s discuss this in the guide.
We know how frustrating it can be to take a photo only to realize that the moment is now gone because its image is entirely black.
Well, in this guide we’ll determine why the photos of Instax 11 are coming out black as well as multiple ways to prevent missing a special moment again!
“To fix black pictures on the Instax Mini 11, ensure proper lighting, clean the lens and flash, and replace the film pack if needed.”
However, before diving into complex troubleshooting, read this guide first!
Why are My Instax Mini 11 Pictures Coming Out Black?
- Incorrectly loaded or overexposed film pack.
- The lens cover is closed while taking photos.
- False adjustment of camera exposure settings.
- Shooting in low-light conditions or dark objects.
- Low battery power or dirty/smudged flash or lens.
- The Instax Mini 11 flash is obstructed or covered.
- Faulty camera components or a hardware issue.
Now that we have identified the potential causes, let’s start troubleshooting!
Instax Mini 11 Photos Coming Out Black – Fix in Minutes!
Note: Ensure to implement each method, the same as discussed below!
1. Check the Camera Lens Cover
The lens cover on the Instax Mini 11 protects the lens from scratches and damage when the camera is not in use.
If the lens cover is accidentally left on or partially open while taking photos, the black images of the camera shouldn’t be surprising to you.
Here is how to check the Instax Mini 11 lens cover:
- Hold your Instax Mini 11 camera in your hands.
- Look at the front of the camera and locate the lens.
- Find out a small switch or button near the lens.
- Slide the lens cap cover to the “open“ position.
It’s important to remember to check the lens cover carefully each time you use your Instax Mini 11 to ensure unobstructed light and optimal photos.
This way you will also avoid underexposure!
One More Thing – Give the Lens a Cleaning!
Over time, the fingerprints or dirt accumulate over the lens which can affect the photo quality.
So, clean your camera’s lens with a microfiber cloth to ensure that images will not be black.
In case the photos are still coming out completely black, continue reading!
2. Inspect the Instax Flash Sensor
If you are shooting in a dark environment or if the flash is obstructed by your fingers or hand, your camera will print black photos.
The Instax Mini 11 has a flash sensor along with the AE sensor, which flashes as soon as the camera determines the subject lighting condition.
- All you have to do is make sure the AE and Flash sensors are not obstructed!
Additionally, avoid using your Instax Mini 11 in strong backlighting, direct sunlight, or bright light sources behind your subject to avoid black or underexposed pictures.
Try to take a photo when the lens cover is completely removed and both sensors are clear and directly exposed to light.
3. Check the Film Installation
If the film pack in your Instax Mini 11 is incorrectly inserted, or not embedded carefully then no wonder why your Instax Mini 11 images coming out black.
So the next step is to inspect your camera film installation for signs of damage, expiration, light exposure, or other defects!
How to Check the Instax Mini 11 Film Installation?
- Press the Power button to turn off the Instax camera.
- Open the film chamber back cover from the camera.
- Take out the inserted film pack from the compartment.
- Inspect the film pack for any signs of prominent damage.
- Insert the film pack back into the film chamber until it clicks.
- Close the back cover of the camera and lock it securely.
How to Capture Images Correctly with Instax 11 Mini?
- Switch on the camera by pressing the power button.
- Push the Shutter button halfway on the Instax camera.
- Ensure that the film indicator changes from dark to clear.
- Take the test picture to determine the exposure and quality.
Tip: Test shooting a photo in multiple different levels of light by changing environments!
4. Fully Extend the Camera Lens
If you are using the selfie, close-up, or even normal mode and your Instax pictures coming out black, then maybe your camera lens is not fully ejected.
In those special cases, the camera will misinterpret the lighting condition of the subject and have a high chance to produce black photos.
- All you need to do is ensure that the camera lens is fully extended!
Here’s how to fully extend the Instax Mini 11 camera lens:
- Ensure the camera lens and sensors are not covered.
- Push the power button on your Instax Mini 11 camera.
- The camera will automatically extend the lens outwards.
- Gently pull the lens even further to extend it manually.
- Do NOT apply force if you start feeling any obstruction.
- When you’re ready, turn on the Selfie or Closeup Mode.
When everything is in order and your Mini camera lens is not covered up, flash and exposure sensors are not obstructed, and the lighting is good, take a test shot.
Then check the results!
If your Instax Mini 11 still printing black, proceed with the solutions further!
5. Check the Camera Battery Level
Using non-alkaline batteries in your Instax Mini 11 causes various issues such as bad exposure, poor flash, and bad shutter performance.
Well, the solution for this is simple as all you need to do is make sure that the camera is equipped with 2 x fresh alkaline batteries.
Here’s how to replace the batteries in Instax Mini 11:
- Open the battery compartment on your Instax Mini camera.
- Remove the previously installed battery set from your camera.
- Clean the battery compartment and contacts using a soft cloth.
- Insert the 2 x fresh alkaline batteries in your Instax 11 camera.
- Reconnect the battery cover and turn on your Mini camera.
Reminder: Don’t forget to only take test photos in a well-lit area focusing on a non-dim object!
6. Factory Reset the Instax Mini 11
One of the potential factors that you can not avoid is software bugs and glitches.
There is a chance that your Mini 11 has a software misconfiguration that causes your camera to incorrectly adjust the exposure and flash settings, which in turn, produces only black pictures.
- Simply resetting your Instax Mini 11 will solve the black photos!
How to Factory Reset the Instax Mini 11?
- Press the Power button and turn on your mini camera.
- Slide down and open the camera battery compartment.
- Remove the installed batteries while the camera is on!
- Then reinsert the battery set back into the compartment.
- Take a test shot to determine whether it is working properly!
Note: The reset takes no time, and as soon as you reinsert the batteries the camera will be reset and the photos will no longer come out black.
Need More Help?
If you have tried all of the solutions in this guide and your Instax mini 11 camera is still printing only black photos, you may have a faulty camera.
In this case, your next step is to check if the product’s warranty is intact and contact the local merchant or go to Instax Support for help!
Hence, if your Instax Mini 11 photos coming out black, first ensure that the lens cover is fully opened and that the AE and flash sensor are not obstructed.
Then check if the film is properly seated, the lighting condition is not too dark and the lens is fully extended. Follow us for more troubleshooting guides on Instax Mini 11!
Read Next: Why Isn’t My Instax Mini 11 Working?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.