How to reset Roku without remote is probably one of the most frustrating questions every homeowner may ask themselves at one point.
Every Roku streaming player comes with its handy WiFi-enabled remote that allows you to watch the biggest blockbusters and most awaited programs on your television screen.
But losing your controller or damaging it can lead to a massive pain in the head.
Fortunately, there is a wide array of techniques that you can try out to continue watching your favorite shows without paying a couple of bucks for a new remote.
Reason To Reset Roku
Do you have a challenging time keeping up with your favorite shows because of an awful streaming experience?
Do your shows freeze or load slowly? Or do you want to sell or gift your streaming player to a loved one?
If you said yes to these questions, you could perform a factory reboot on your Roku Stick or set-top box.
In reality, you can quickly fix most streaming issues by just doing a factory reboot on your device.
We recommend doing this before contacting this company’s customer service or purchasing a new player.
Doing so will result in the following:
- Unlink your Roku device and account.
- Remove all your customized preferences.
- Return your streaming equipment to its default settings.
How To Reset Roku
Doing a factory reboot to bring your device back to its default settings is pretty straightforward. Anyone can perform this task even without prior experience.
Just follow the guided steps below to reset your Roku streaming player:
Photo byExpress VPN
- Click the Home menu on your controller and choose Settings.
- Select System then Advanced System Settings.
- Choose Factory Reset and follow the on-screen instructions.
Once you have followed these steps, your streaming player will be as good as new.
All you need is your remote, and you are good to go. But what steps can you take if you have lost your controller?
How To Reset Roku Without A Remote
Even without a physical remote, you can do various techniques on your own to continue watching your favorite programs at your home’s comforts.
If you are wondering how to reset Roku Stick without remote, you can also do any of the following methods.
Method 1 – Pressing The Reset Button
Older streaming players of this Company have a physical reset button located at the bottom or back of your device.
The primary difference in how to reset Roku Stick without remote is that you can press the physical button using your finger.
But set-top boxes would need a small pointed object because of its pinhole resetting button.
Once you have found the hardware reset button, you can now do the following:
- Press the physical reset button for at least 10 seconds.
- Make sure that your streaming player is on.
- A blinking indicator light will indicate that your device is performing a factory reboot.
- Once there is no longer any light, your device has completed resetting.
Photo by Roku Support
However, if these steps do not work, you can perform a hard reset on your streaming device.
You can follow these steps:
- Press the physical reset button for around 15 seconds, with only your power cable plugged into your device.
- After this timeframe, unplug the power cable from your streaming device.
- Release the reset button and connect everything back into your streaming equipment.
Method 2 – Roku Remote App
If your smartphone and Roku device are on the same WiFi network, you can download the Roku application in the Google Playstore or App Store.
You can follow the steps below:
- Install the application on your phone or tablet.
- Open the program on your device and tap the Remote option.
- Pair it with your streaming player and perform a factory reboot from the Advanced System Settings.
This application has the same functions as your actual Roku remote. It allows you to play, pause, and change channels on your streaming player.
But if your Roku device and smartphone are not on the same WiFi network, you would need to use a mobile hotspot.
Photo by Roku Support
Here is how you can do this:
- Go to your phone’s Settings and click Mobile Hotspot.
- Select the Set Up Mobile Hotspot option and add your WiFi network. Make sure to choose WPA2 PSK as your Security mode.
- Save your settings and open your hotspot.
- Install the Roku application and tap the Remote option.
- Connect your streaming player to the same WiFi network and enter the necessary passcode.
- Pair your remote and perform a factory reboot from the Advanced System Settings.
Read Next: Roku Remote Blinking? Here’s How to Fix!
Method 3 – Using Remoku.tv
If your streaming player is an ethernet model, you can still perform a factory reset without a remote.
You can do this by following these guided steps:
Step 1. Plug your ethernet, HDMI, and power cable into your streaming player. Wait for the Connect Remote message on your screen.
Step 2. Access your Wireless Network settings and connect to DIRECT-roku-123-456AB. However, this number may vary from one device to another.
Step 3. Once you see the Set Up screen, go to Remoku TV using your computer browser.
Step 4. Pair your remote and perform a factory reset from the Advanced System Settings.
Photo byRemoku Support
When performing this method, make sure to use a wired connection before setting up your WiFi network settings.
Otherwise, you need to reset your Roku streaming player using its physical reset button and do the steps above again.
Remoku.tv Versus Mobile Application
Remoku.tv is similar to the Roku mobile application because it allows you to control your streaming player like the actual physical remote. But one of its excellent characteristics is its accessibility.
In reality, you can install this application on your Android or iOS smartphones and even as an extension on your Firefox or Google Chrome browsers.
However, this program is best to use with ethernet Roku models.
You can check out our Roku Overheating troubleshooting guide, in case you are facing heating issue.
Enjoy The Most Awaited Programs At Your Home’s Comfort
Losing your Roku remote is not the end of the world. You can still reset your device with any of the methods above. Doing so will ensure that your streaming player is as good as new.
- Coverage up to 6,000 sq. ft. and for up to 100...
- Ultrafast AX6000 gigabit speed with WiFi 6...
- Compatible with any internet service provider up...
- Sets up in minutes with the Orbi App; easily...
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.
Amazon Links : Last update on 2023-03-23 / Price & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. You will be redirected to Amazon website to complete the checkout process.