You may want to find out how to reboot Orbi router if your router is misbehaving. Interestingly, many Wifi problems can be solved just by rebooting your router.
The Netgear Orbi router is one that poses a challenge when it comes to rebooting. This is because it has a power button which should be a good thing but is not.
To reboot your Orbi router, you must power cycle it.
This is where you completely cut the router from power and drain all power within.
This will help end all processes, clear bugs, and fix router problems.
Power cycling is done in several steps that also include powering off. If you are having problems with your Orbi router and need to reboot it, keep on reading.
We look at all the steps necessary to completely start your Orbi router on a fresh page.
Reasons for Rebooting Orbi Router
You already have a reason why you want to reboot your Orbi router.
Whether rebooting will help solve your problem or not is another question.
However, rebooting your router might help solve the following issues.
- Rebooting your router will help resolve a Frozen Router problem
- Rebooting will help solve temporary electronic Glitches and Bugs
- Rebooting your router may help fix Slow Router
- Rebooting your router may help clear Overloaded Router Storage
These problems may manifest in different symptoms. However, the most common scenario is where your router and modem stop functioning or the wifi gets too slow.
Thankfully, you can restart your router and get back on track.
Steps on How to Reboot Orbi Router
The steps on how to reboot a Netgear Orbi router are quite simple and direct.
It is important that you follow all the steps, even the ones that look unnecessary.
The steps are meant to ensure that the processes shut down accordingly and start in the right order.
Step #1 Disconnect All Connected Devices
The first step you should take is to turn off all devices connected to your Wifi.
You may either turn off wifi on these devices or simply turn off the devices themselves.
Whichever the situation, make sure there is no wifi connection to any device before power cycling.
Why turn off wifi on all devices
- It helps prevent the router from continuing to run in the background when turned off
- It is a safety measure to ensure that you have saved all data that needs to be saved before turning the router off
- It is recommended to turn off all processes so that the router can shut down completely
Tip: Always check your work in progress on any device that requires internet before switching wifi off.
Only turn wifi off if you have finished or saved work in progress.
Step #2 Turn off Your Orbi Modem, Router, and Satellite
The next step is to turn off your Orbi modem. All Netgear routers and modems provide an option to turn off wireless radios.
They have a Wifi on and off button, which can be used for this purpose. If you are using an old modem it may lack this button. In that case, just skip this step.
You must also do the same for the other devices powering your Wifi. These include the router and satellite.
Make sure the devices are turned off in an appropriate manner.
How to turn the modem off
- Press the Wifi on/off button for about 10 seconds
- Wait until the Wifi LED lights go off
- Do the same for the Orbi Router, waiting until the device goes Off
- Finally, turn off Satellite if you are using
- Once they go off move to the next steps
Step #3 Unplug Your Devices From Power
The mistake that most people commit when rebooting the Orbi router is stopping at this point.
While the router might have a power-off button, this does not stop it from running background processes.
Rebooting includes ending all processes and starting the device fresh.
To ensure that your router is completely off, you have to unplug the device from power. The same must be done for the modem and satellite.
To unplug the router and modem from power:
- Locate the Power Cord usually at the rear side of the router
- Turn the Power off on the wall socket
- Remove the power cord from your router
Note: If your modem or router is installed at a location where you may struggle to get access, turn off the power on the central power control plug.
This way, you do not have to use a lot of energy trying to uninstall your router just for a reboot.
Step #4 Drain Excess Power Out of the Router and Modem
This step is very important if you want to complete a power cycle.
You must drain any excess power that is retained in your router or modem.
Such excess power could hold some background processes running. This can affect your router reboot process.
To drain excess internal power
- Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds
- Release the power button and let your router or modem rest for about 5 minutes
- Press and hold the power button for about 10 minutes again
Step #5: Plug Your Modem Back Into Power Source
When all the above steps are completed, plug your modem back into the power source.
- Turn on your wall socket switch and turn on the modem.
- Wait until the modem is back on then move to the next step.
Step #6 Plug Orbi Router and Satellite and Turn On
It is important that these steps happen in this pattern.
It is only after you have turned on your modem that you should turn on the router.
Here are the steps
- Locate the power cords
- Plug your satellite and router back into power.
- Turn them on by pressing the power button
- Wait until they are all powered.
Step #7 Reconnect Your Devices
Give your router and satellite about 2 minutes to completely power on and try connecting your devices.
With that, you will have power cycled your Orbi router and the entire setup. All internet bugs should be fixed.
In case you undertake all the above steps and still experience a problem, you should consider resetting your Orbi router.
Resetting the router is very different from power cycling.
Step #8 Factory Reset Your Orbi Router
To factory reset, a router simply means deleting any data and settings that are held on your router.
This approach can help fix a lot of problems. As a matter of fact, any error that is not detectable can be fixed by factory resetting the router.
On the downside, a factory reset to your router usually means starting your setup fresh.
You will have to either login to your Orbi online portal and set the wifi up fresh or call the Netgear team.
How to reset Orbi router
- Your Orbi Router should be Powered ON
- Locate a pinhole opening at the rear end of your router
- Using a pin or a toothpick, Press and hold the Reset Button for about 10 seconds
- Wait until the lights on your router flash and release the button
- Login to your Orbi router Online portal using the default username and password at the back of your router
- Set up your New Wifi Password and Username
With that, you will have reconfigured your Orbi wifi after resetting the router. Any issue that was affecting your access to the internet should be out of the way.
Note: All the above steps show how to reboot your router from scratch.
If all you are looking for is a way to turn off your Orbi router at night, these steps may not help.
Instead, try using Smart Plugs which can schedule a time to cut the power off from your router.
If you have been looking for how to reboot Orbi router, you have all the necessary steps outlined for you above.
These steps should help you not only power off and on, but completely power cycle the router.
In the process, you will also have to power cycle your modem and satellite for complete effectiveness.
Read Next: Netgear Router Setup Without Modem – Complete Setup Guide
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.