The question of how do I unlock my Verizon SIM card can be answered in three main ways.
First, you may want to unlock your SIM card lock on a Verizon device. This is where the device is locked to the Verizon carrier.
You may also be looking for the PIN to your SIM card or a way to unlock your SIM card after the card is blocked.
To unlock your Verizon SIM card, you have to wait for 60 days after purchasing your device. The SIM card will automatically be unlocked allowing you to use other carriers.
There are several reasons and situations when you may want to unlock your Verizon SIM card.
Keep on reading to find out all the details.
Situations When You Will Need to Unlock Verizon SIM Card
If you are interested in knowing how to unlock Verizon SIM card, chances are that you are undergoing a certain situation.
The situations that call for Verizon SIM card unlock are different.
Below are the main situations where you may need to unlock your Verizon:
- You wish to move from Verizon and are in need of unlocking your Verizon device to accept other carriers
- You have mistakenly blocked your SIM card due to entering the wrong PIN
- You need to have access to your SIM card but do not know your PIN
- You are using a Verizon prepaid phone and would love to migrate to another carrier
All of these situations are different but they all call for unlocking your Verizon SM card.
If you own a Verizon SIM card, you should at least have some knowledge about dealing with these situations.
How Do I Unlock My Verizon SIM Card Step by Step
To unlock Verizon SIM card, take an approach that applies to your situation.
When we talk about unlocking a Verizon SIM card, we refer to all aspects of giving access to your phone and carrier services.
If you wish to unlock your Verizon phone to accept other SIM cards, we have the appropriate steps.
You may also be looking to unlock a temporarily blocked SIM card among others.
Below are the main steps you can take to unlock your Verizon SIM card.
1. Wait for the Device SIM Lock Period to Elapse
The first option we are looking at is where you wish to unlock your Verizon phone SIM card. In this way, you intend to allow your Verizon phone to accept other carriers.
The first factor we must note is that all Verizon phones are locked to Verizon Carrier at the point of purchase.
The phone can however be unlocked even before you finish paying for it.
Here are the steps to unlock your Verizon phone so that it can accept other carriers:
- Insert your Verizon SIM card into your phone immediately after purchasing
- Activate the SIM card if it is a new one
- Use your phone with your Verizon SIM card for at least 60 days
- After 60 days, your phone will automatically be unlocked and allow you to use other SIM cards.
Note: There is no provided option for unlocking the Verizon phone to use other SIM cards before the 60-day period elapses.
2. Unlock Verizon Prepaid Phone
The other situation where you may need to unlock your Verizon phone is if you are using a prepaid phone.
Prepaid Verizon phones are not unlocked in the same way as postpaid ones. For prepaid, you will have to use an unlock code.
This is the only way to get the phone to work on any other carrier apart from Verizon.
Although this is not a common situation, it can happen. In either case, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Insert a new SIM card into your device and turn it on.
- When prompted, enter one of two codes: 000000 or 123456
- Those are the only two codes Verizon uses for unlocking.
- If neither code works, call Verizon support at *611 for manual assistance.
If you’re considering switching to or from Verizon, you must find a way to unlock your phone first.
3. Manage SIM PIN Lock in Admin Panel
If you have just bought your Verizon SIM card, you should know that it comes with a PIN.
This PIN is a four-digit number used to give you access to SIM services. The PIN is a security measure that prevents any person from using your SIM card without Authorization.
You will find the PIN on your SIM card plate.
For Verizon SIM cards, the PIN is 1111 when you purchase your SIM card. However, you are allowed to change the PIN when you want.
The Verizon SIM card can be managed from the online portal. On your Verizon online portal, change the PIN from 1111 to a secret number.
✅ Alternatively, you can disable the PIN entirely!
Sure, here are the steps to modify SIM card settings on Verizon
- Access the Admin Web Interface.
- Click on Settings.
- From the left menu, select Management and then choose SIM PIN Management.
- Select ‘Enable/Disable’ on the dropdown,
- Enter your default PIN (which is 1111), and then click on Apply
- To modify the SIM PIN, make sure that the SIM PIN is enabled.
- Enter the existing SIM PIN usually 1111 for a new SIM card
- Type the new SIM PIN.
- Click on Apply to save the changes.
Note: If you are going to keep using your PIN, only change it to a code you can remember. If you have never changed your PIN then use the 1111 PIN any time to access your SIM card.
4. Unlock a Locked SIM Card Using PUK Code
The other scenario is when you have to unlock your SIM card due to using the wrong PIN.
Your default SIM card comes with two codes.
✅ One is indicated as PIN and the other as PUK. When unlocking your SIM card, you will use the PIN, which is a four-digit number.
However, you have a maximum of three trials to get the PIN right. If you input the wrong PIN more than twice, your SIM card will be temporarily blocked.
✅ The only way to unlock your Verizon-blocked SIM card is by inputting your PUK number.
The PUK number should be found on your original SIM card plate. Once you enter the correct PU, you will be allowed to set a new PIN for your SIM card.
How to unblock a Verizon SIM card using the PUK
- Turn on your smartphone or tablet
- Type in the 8-digit PUK code using the keypad and press the OK button.
- Enter a new SIM PIN code that is between 4 and 8 digits long, then tap OK.
- Re-enter the new SIM PIN code to confirm it, and then tap OK to complete the process.
Note: You must be very careful when inputting your PUK into the device. If you input a wrong PUK more than 7 times, your SIM card will be blocked permanently.
If you are not sure about your exact PUK number, call Verizon for assistance.
If you have been wondering how do I unlock my Verizon SIM card you have the answer.
Most people who search for Verizon SIM card unlocking are either missing their PIN or need to unlock the carrier. In either case, you can unlock your Verizon SIM card successfully.
The other case where you may want to unlock Verizon is where you have blocked your SIM card. Follow all the above steps if they apply to your particular case.
Read Next: Verizon eSim QR Code No Longer Valid?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.