If you’re one of the many people experiencing issues with your Fitbit Charge 5 not receiving text messages, there are solutions you can try,
When your device isn’t working properly, it can be annoying. The good news is that this issue can be resolved in just a few steps.
Let me guide you through the process!
To resume receiving text message notifications on your Fitbit Charge 5, ensure it is not in Do Not Disturb mode. Additionally, enable notification settings on your phone to allow sending notifications to your Fitbit tracker.
There are other solutions to fix the Fitbit not receiving text messages issue. Before we discuss them in detail, let’s explore why this happens.
Why Does Fitbit Charge Not Displaying Text Messages Happen
One of the convenient features of Fitbit Charge 5 is setting it up to receive message notifications from your connected device.
But you must ensure your watch and smartphone are within 30 feet of each other. If you are still having issues, it may be due to one of the following:
- Your Fitbit Charge 5 and phone are not paired or synced up properly
- There’s an issue with your device’s Bluetooth connection
- The Fitbit app does not have the proper permissions to access notifications
- Your phone’s notification settings are not configured correctly
- Your Fitbit is in Do Not Disturb Mode and silences notifications
In some rare cases, the issue may arise due to hardware issues. But don’t panic yet.
Follow our recommended troubleshooting steps before you contact support to fix or replace the unit.
Full Fix Guide for My Fitbit Charge 5 Not Receiving Text Messages
There’s a possibility that the Fitbit Charge 5 not receiving text messages issue is caused by a temporary software bug or glitch and can be fixed by restarting your tracker and phone.
Here’s how to restart the Fitbit Charge 5:
- Swipe down from the clock screen to locate Settings.
- Tap the Settings icon to open the app.
- Tap Restart Device and select Restart.
Sometimes, issues with the Fitbit app or the phone’s software can cause notification issues. Give your device a fresh start by restarting it and force close the Fitbit app to kill any currently running processes.
If the issue still occurs, proceed to the following solutions.
Solution #1: Check the Pairing and Sync Status of Your Devices
Your Fitbit Charge 5 relies on your phone for most of its functions. Since it does not have cellular capabilities, it uses Bluetooth to transfer data between devices.
If your phone receives a text message, it can forward that to your tracker as long as they’re synced.
To ensure that your Fitbit receives text message alerts from your phone, you need to look at the pairing status of your devices.
Interference or temporary glitches can play a part here and disconnect the connection between your phone and Fitbit.
Here’s how to check the pairing status of your Fitbit to your phone:
- Open the Fitbit app on your phone.
- Tap on the Today tab.
- Select your profile and choose your Fitbit.
- Tap on the sync icon to resync your devices.
Note: You also want to check your phone’s Bluetooth settings to see if your Fitbit is connected.
Solution #2: Forget Your Fitbit from Your Phone’s Bluetooth
If you find out that your Fitbit is paired up with your phone but still not receiving text messages, there’s an issue with the Bluetooth connection.
It’s possible that your phone says that they’re connected, but software issues can occur that make the connection incomplete.
To resolve this, you will need to refresh the Bluetooth connection between your phone and Fitbit. Forget your watch from your phone’s Bluetooth settings and re-pair them again so they can refresh their connection.
Here are the steps to forget your Fitbit from your phone’s Bluetooth settings:
- Go to Settings and select Bluetooth on your phone.
- Tap the info icon next to your Fitbit device’s name.
- Tap Forget this device and confirm.
- Open the Fitbit app and re-pair your devices again.
- Open your phone’s Settings.
- Select the Bluetooth option.
- Tap the gear next to your Fitbit device’s name.
- Choose Forget, then confirm your selection.
- Open the Fitbit app and re-pair your devices again.
Note: You want to make sure to switch your phone’s Bluetooth before attempting to pair again.
Solution #3: Turn Off Your Phone’s Battery Saver Mode
The Battery Saver Mode limits or disables features and apps that may consume power.
In your phone’s case, it can stop your Fitbit app from running in the background and disrupt the connection between your tracker.
Turning on Bluetooth consumes extra battery power that Battery Saver mode can cut off.
Activating it can block the Fitbit app from sending information to your tracker, and you won’t receive any alerts for new messages.
You want to disable this mode on your phone so you can start getting all your message alerts.
Here’s how to deactivate your phone’s Battery Saver Mode:
- Open your phone’s Settings.
- Navigate to the Battery option.
- Tap on the switch for Low Power Mode to toggle it off.
- Check if your Fitbit starts receiving message notifications.
- Go to your phone’s Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on Battery.
- Select Battery Saver.
- Toggle the switch to the off position.
Note: You can also turn this feature off by accessing your iPhone’s Control Center or Android’s Quick Settings.
Solution #4: Switch Off Do Not Disturb on Your Fitbit
Turning on Do Not Disturb mode on your Fitbit Charge 5 will also turn off its notification alerts. It will block incoming texts, calls, and notifications from other apps.
If you want to receive any notification, you must look at your tracker’s settings and turn off Do Not Disturb mode.
Here’s how to switch it off on your Fitbit Charge 5:
- Swipe down from the top of your Fitbit’s screen.
- Tap on the moon icon to toggle Do Not Disturb mode.
- Go back to your Fitbit’s home screen.
- Check if you now receive message notifications on your Fitbit.
Note: You will know if the Do Not Disturb mode is switched on if the icon has a line through it.
Solution #5: Allow Notification Previews on Your Phone
One setting on newer phones that can cause your Fitbit not to get text messages is notification previews. Some phones have the capability to turn this on or off, and it can disrupt how your Fitbit processes these alerts.
If your phone has the option to display notifications on your Fitbit Charge 5’s lock screen, you need to allow this feature on your connected device.
Also, ensure you enable Notification Previews for any messaging apps you are using to stay up-to-date with your messages while on the go.
Here’s how you can activate this feature on your phone:
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select Notifications from the menu.
- Choose your messaging app.
- Set the Show Previews option to Always.
- Check if your Fitbit starts getting your text messages.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Go to the Apps menu.
- Choose the messaging app you are using.
- Open the Notification Settings of the app.
- Allow All Notifications on the app.
Note: If you have multiple messaging apps that you use, you want to turn this feature on for all apps.
Solution #6: Enable Notification Settings on the Fitbit App
To receive text message notifications on your Fitbit device, you must enable them in the notification settings.
Thankfully, the Fitbit app has its own notification settings where you can choose which notifications you want to receive.
If you want to receive text message notifications, you need to enable it. Here are the actual steps to do this.
- Launch the Fitbit app on your phone.
- Go to the Today tab.
- Select your profile, then your Fitbit device.
- Tap on Notifications, then Text Messages.
- Toggle the Text Messages switch to on.
Tip: You must choose the messaging app you use on your phone to pass the notifications on to your Fitbit.
These are the steps you must follow so your Fitbit Charge 5 will continue receiving text messages and other notifications.
If these solutions don’t resolve the problem, reset your Fitbit to factory settings. You can also contact Fitbit customer support to get technical assistance.
Now that you know what causes your Fitbit Charge 5 not receiving text messages, you can take the necessary steps to fix it. These are all simple, quick fixes you can work on in under 15 minutes. You’ll be able to get those notifications in no time, so you don’t miss out on any important texts.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.