If you’re wondering why the Emerson thermostat not heating, stay with us through this guide!
If the Emerson thermostat doesn’t activate “Heating,” the issue is likely related to low batteries or improper settings configuration.
This read is the perfect combination of acquiring common sense about the issue and adequately applying highly technical but easy troubleshooting steps.
Whenever the Emerson thermostat clicks but won’t start heating, first check if the setting within the Emerson app is correct and reseat the backup batteries. Also, check the furnace’s A/C supply and inspect the HVAC.
Let’s investigate further!
Why Does the Emerson Thermostat Won’t Turn On Heat?
To understand what causes the functionality throttles of the Emerson thermostat, the first step is to review all possible causes that could impact the heating schedule.
The heating function on all Emerson thermostat models is identical and requires proper connection with the HVAC system.
Here’s why the Emerson thermostat isn’t activating the heating schedule:
This is what could possibly impact the HVAC system’s heating capabilities of your Emerson unit.
To explore resolutions to the issue, proceed with easy and accessible troubleshooting steps!
Emerson Thermostat Not Heating – Here’s How to Fix!
Tip: Follow our steps in consecutive order!
1. Correct the Thermostat Setting
The mode of the Emerson thermostat can be controlled solely through the Emerson mobile app, available for both Android and iOS.
Programming your Emerson thermostat allows you to set up schedules, control the heating/cooling regimes, and operate using advanced settings.
How to Switch Emerson Into “Heating” Mode?
- First, open the Emerson app on your mobile device.
- Touch the correct thermostat device from the menu.
- Switch your thermostat regime back to “Heat Mode.”
- Then, raise the degrees above the room temperature.
- Lastly, save the changes and exit the Emerson settings.
How is Heating Displayed On All Emerson Models?
To verify that the Emerson thermostat has gone into “Heating,” check the following:
- Sensi Touch smart thermostat – The touchscreen must turn gray.
- Sensi smart thermostat – The “Heating” indicator must appear.
- Sensi Touch 2 smart thermostat – The indicator mustn’t be orange.
- Sensi Lite smart thermostat – The word “ON” must be displayed.
After verifying that the temperature module of the Emerson thermostat is set correctly, wait for the thermostat’s click.
After that, allow the heated boiler water to flow into the system radiators by adjusting the water valve or opening it all the way.
Tip: Re-adjust the valve of the HVAC radiators after verifying that they are heating up!
2. Reinsert the Emerson Batteries
A potential battery defect can tamper with the functionality of the Emerson thermostat and impact the heating/cooling schedules.
Although the batteries are not the primary power source of the thermostat, reseating the units will reboot the software and address non-lasting issues.
Here’s how to reinsert the Emerson thermostat batteries:
- Dismount the front plate of the Emerson thermostat.
- Open the battery compartment cover of the device.
- Eject the battery units inside of the compartment.
- Wait for 30 seconds and re-insert the battery units.
- Turn on the Emerson thermostat and test the heating.
Note: Inserting the batteries into the incorrect position will factory reset the thermostat!
Bonus Tip: Replace the Emerson Batteries
Some Emerson models use rechargeable backup battery packs that cannot be replaced unless a specific compatible battery is inserted.
However, the non-programmable models use double-A or triple-A batteries as backup units whenever the primary power “C” wire fails.
The Emerson thermostat automatically regulates the charging/discharging of the backup batteries based on the condition and strength of the main “C” wire power supply.
Note: Defective batteries can impact other aspects of the Emerson thermostat’s functionality!
3. Clean the System’s Air Filter
A clogged air filter is the most common cause of heating issues with the Emerson HVAC system.
Non-sustainable airflow could prevent the Emerson thermostat from switching between heating and cooling and inflict continual damage to the system in terms of functionality.
Where to Find the HVAC Air Filter?
The air filter is situated within the furnace compartment of the HVAC system and can be uninstalled by undoing the attachment screws on each end.
After successfully locating and removing the air filter, secure the screws since they will be required for mounting it later!
How to Clean the Emerson System Air Filter?
The air filter does not contain electrical wiring or A/C, so clean it with a garden hose or a bucket of warm water.
It is also recommended to use compressed air to blow through the openings or a vacuum cleaner to suck in all the dust accumulation and debris on the air net.
Alert: If you’ve used water for cleaning, reinstall the air filter after thoroughly drying up!
4. Troubleshoot the Emerson App
The functionality issues with the Emerson app could be related to an underlying software condition with the software.
Troubleshooting the platform is possible in several ways, which include addressing the excess data files (cache) and uploading the latest firmware version!
Here’s how to troubleshoot the Emerson app on your mobile:
- Verify that the Emerson app is updated to the latest version.
- Clear the Emerson app’s cache (or “Offload” for iOS devices).
- Uninstall and reinstall the Emerson app from the smartphone.
After applying the following methods precisely as listed, there shouldn’t be any issues with the Emerson platform.
If you cannot sign into your account or access the application, Emerson may be performing a temporal maintenance that shouldn’t last long.
Note: When the Emerson app is not accessible, you can check for outages online!
5. Inspect the HVAC Heat Boilers
A standard HVAC system consists of ACs that provide the system’s cooling and a combination of boilers that heat the water flowing to your radiators.
The Emerson thermostat may indicate “Heating,” but if the boilers don’t warm the water, the temperature won’t rise.
Here’s how to inspect the HVAC boiler’s heating capabilities:
- Access the HVAC boiler compartment in your installation.
- Locate the boilers connected to the HVAC radiator pipes.
- Find the temperature controller on the back of the boiler.
- Turn the switch towards a higher temperature for elevation.
- Check if the water pipes going into the boiler are clogged.
Remember that a clogged pipe will entirely suppress the water flow heated up by the boiler.
Inspecting defective installation or bad pipes requires a technician, so it is recommended to contact an HVAC technician or Emerson for arrangements.
Note: Do not attempt to repair or relocate the boiler if you’re not a specialized technician!
6. Correct the HVAC Handler’s Panel
Another reason why the Emerson thermostat not turning on heat is because the furnace’s handler panel hasn’t been closed or positioned properly.
The next step is to verify that the system’s functionality is not impacted by improper positioning of the HVAC furnace’s door.
Where to Locate the HVAC Furnace Handler?
To locate the furnace handler, head into the furnace compartment of your HVAC system and locate the furnace next to the boilers.
The furnace can be recognized through the upward pipe installed onto the airflow opening, imbued with the top panel of the system.
Note: The operations of the HVAC furnace will be stopped if the handler’s panel is opened!
7. Factory Reset the Emerson Thermostat
If Emerson is still not activating the heating mode, the thermostat may have encountered a particular software malfunction.
You can address issues with the software condition of the thermostat by forcing a factory reset by inserting the batteries improperly.
Here’s how to conduct a factory reset on the Emerson thermostat in easy steps:
- Switch off the Emerson thermostat unit at the A/C.
- Remove the frontal panel and access the batteries.
- Remove the Emerson battery units from the slots.
- Next, insert the batteries into the opposite position.
- Wait for 30 seconds while your thermostat resets.
- Finally, eject the batteries and insert them correctly.
Once the factory reset starts, the Emerson thermostat will become temporarily unavailable.
So, do not cut the power supply of the thermostat, or the factory reset will fail and cause problems.
Note: Once the reset is complete, you must set up the thermostat from scratch!
Whenever the Emerson thermostat not heating, reinsert the internal backup batteries and thoroughly examine the HVAC equipment.
If the fault persists, reinstall the Emerson app, correct the HVAC handler panel, and perform a factory reset on the Emerson thermostat.
Follow us for specialized Emerson thermostat troubleshooting!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.