Want to know does Ring Doorbell light up when recording? We have the answers!
If you have a Ring Doorbell, it’s understandable that you want to know if it’s working properly. We’ll explain everything you want to know, especially when it comes to the LED light behavior.
Does the Ring Doorbell light up when recording? Yes, it does, as the LED light will turn solid white when the camera is on. This behavior is true for all Ring models, whether it’s battery-powered or wired.
Get ready to know more.
Does Ring Doorbell Light Up When Recording – Quick Facts
Now that we have determined that your Ring doorbell lights up, there’s a lot more you need to know about it.
It comes with a variety of features where you can fully customize it. If you don’t want others to know it’s recording, it’s also possible to disable it.
Let’s find out!
Ring Doorbell Light Features
If you think your Ring doorbell’s light is simply a decorative feature that illuminates when you ring it, you’re going to be surprised. It serves several functions that allow you to monitor what your device is doing.
Purpose of the LED Light
The primary purpose of your Ring doorbell’s light is to give you visual feedback regarding your device.
It will tell you a lot as the lights come in different colors that change depending on what your doorbell is currently doing.
Here’s what those LED lights will tell you:
- Know if your doorbell is recording
- Know if your doorbell is in Live View
- Know if your doorbell is connecting to the network
- Know if your doorbell is updating its firmware
- Know if your doorbell is idle or charging
- Know if your doorbell has low battery or power issues
- Know if your doorbell has encountered an error
Note: The doorbell lights do light up when someone rings it, as it also starts recording.
The Behavior Your Ring Doorbell LED Light
Your doorbell LED light displays an array of colors and patterns. It all depends on the status of your device and its current activity.
Here are some examples of what your LED light will show:
|Blue||Spinning||Setup mode or connecting to the network|
|Blue||Flashing||Button press or speaker enabled|
|White||Spinning||Firmware update or factory reset|
|White||Flashing||Failed setup or error|
|White||Solid||Idle mode or recording|
|Red||Flashing||Low battery or power issue|
Tip: These are some of the default settings, as you’ll be able to customize these depending on your preferences.
Does It Light Up When Recording – How Do You Know
Now that you have a better idea of the behavior of your doorbell lights, it’s time to get into more detail. We know that your Ring doorbell will generally light up when it’s recording.
However, when it comes to the colors, it will depend on which model you have.
Here are some of the things you need to look out for:
- Some Ring doorbell models show a solid white light when it’s recording
- When someone presses the button, or it detects motion, the light will turn on
- Other models will show a blue light that indicates they’re recording
Here’s a table on what light to expect depending on your Ring doorbell or camera model:
|Ring Device Model||LED Light Color|
|Ring Video Doorbell 3||Solid white|
|Ring Video Doorbell 4||Solid white|
|Ring Video Doorbell Pro||Solid white|
|Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2||Solid white|
|Ring Video Doorbell Wired||Solid white|
|Ring Peephole Cam||Solid white|
|Ring Stick Up Cam Battery||Solid blue|
|Ring Indoor Cam||Solid blue|
|Ring Floodlight Cam||Solid blue|
|Ring Spotlight Cam Battery||Solid blue|
|Ring Solar Floodlight Cam||Solid blue|
Note: We recommend that you check the current settings of your doorbell, as these can vary.
Does Ring Doorbell Light Up at Night
Another common question that a lot of Ring doorbell users ask is if the LED lights up at night. Well, the answers are both yes and no, as it depends on the type of doorbell you have.
If your doorbell is hardwired, it will have a solid white light around the button so those who come up to your door will see it.
Plus, it has constant power, so it is able to afford to spend some of it on the light.
However, if you have a battery-powered doorbell, the light will not be constantly lit at night to save energy and avoid draining the battery.
- If you have night vision enabled, your doorbell will use infrared LEDs.
- If night vision is disabled, it will rely on the ambient light for its recordings.
Tip: Infrared LEDs are not going to be visible to the human eye, so you won’t see any light coming from your doorbell.
Does Ring Doorbell Light Up When Motion Detected
When it comes to motion detection, your Ring doorbell has different characteristics when it comes to turning on its LED.
It depends on your type of doorbell, as not all will light up whenever it detects motion.
Here’s what you need to consider:
- If your device uses a solid white light, it will light up when motion is detected.
- The light will turn on and stay on until the recording ends.
- For models that use a flashing blue light, it will not light up when motion is detected.
Note: If you’re the owner of the Ring doorbell, there are other methods to tell if it’s recording or not.
Other Recording Indicators of Your Ring Doorbell
Besides the LED light, there are other ways for you to tell if your Ring doorbell is recording or not.
Here are some of the ways to know:
- Ring app: Use the Ring app on your device to view live video and audio from your doorbell.
- Red dot: If you have a video-enabled Alexa, you’ll see a red dot on the screen whenever your doorbell is recording.
- Ring Chime: If you have this add-on, you will hear a sound when your doorbell is recording.
How to Disable Your Ring Doorbell LED Light When Recording
Since we now know that your doorbell lights up when it’s recording, what if you want to disable it to keep it discreet?
Well, there’s a way to do it, and here’s how:
- Open the Ring app on your phone.
- Tap on the three-line menu icon.
- Select Devices.
- Choose the doorbell you want to configure.
- Tap on Device Settings.
- Go to Video Settings.
- Toggle the switch that says Enable Status LED.
Tip: This will disable the LED for all activities, so you won’t see any light, even if there’s something wrong with your doorbell.
Alternatives and Workarounds
If you’re not satisfied with the LED light on your Ring doorbell, there are other alternatives and workarounds.
Since turning off the light feature will disable it for all activities, it’s not the most ideal thing to do.
Here are some alternatives to check out:
- Use a sticker or tape to cover the LED light to hide it completely.
- Use a doorbell skin to change the color and design of your device.
- Use a smart plug to power your device to power it on or off remotely.
Note: These affect the security and functionality of your device, so you want to make sure you’re not compromising any of those when you use any of these alternatives.
There are some privacy concerns you need to consider when it comes to your Ring doorbell’s LED lights. You need to be aware of these, so you know if you want to turn this feature on or off.
Here are some of the things to watch out for.
- The LED light alerts visitors or intruders that your device is recording.
- This is a good deterrence for unwanted guests.
- Not ideal if you want to record without them knowing.
- The LED light will reveal if you’re at home or not.
Note: It really depends on what you want to achieve, whether you want to turn your LED light on or off.
Does Ring Doorbell light up when recording? Yes, your doorbell has a LED light that displays different colors and patterns depending on its activities, like recording.
You’re also able to deactivate it if you want to be more discreet. For more information regarding your Ring doorbell, visit our blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.