When your DISH TV remote volume not working, there are quite a few things to inspect in order to be able to draw a conclusion. This guide will unwrap everything so let’s get started!
When the volume of your DISH remote is not working, check if you’ve programmed the device correctly and reset the remote.
If that didn’t work, replace the batteries inside of the remote and disconnect all third-party devices from the receiver, causing interference.
Let’s keep unwrapping further!
Why Is the Volume Button Not Working On DISH TV Remote?
Let’s learn why your DISH TV remote control won’t adjust the volume:
- The remote’s batteries are worn-out
- There’s an active wireless interference
- A programming issue with the remote
- A problem with your TV or DISH receiver
- The DISH remote’s compartments are dirty
- The receiver/TV’s remote sensor is blocked
- There’s an issue with a third-party device!
Dish Remote Volume Not Working Just Flashes TV – Explained!
Whenever your DISH doesn’t seemingly work but the TV flashes upon pressing the volume button, it could only mean that the programming isn’t correct.
There are a lot of reasons for a bad pairing or communication issues that all are likely to prevent the volume from working.
Though the majority of DISH remotes are different from one another, what remains common for all models is how the volume is adjusted.
Simply point the remote at the TV/receiver and press the VOL +/- buttons to adjust how audible you would like to sound output to be.
8 Ways to Fix When DISH Remote Volume Not Working?
Tip: Follow our steps in consecutive order!
1. Discharge the DISH Remote
An easy and effective solution whenever DISH TV remote volume not working, is to discharge the device.
A discharge is achieved only when your remote’s batteries are disconnected for a particular amount of time so the hardware discharges all electricity!
Follow these instructions to discharge (power cycle) your DISH remote:
- Open the battery compartment of your remote.
- Eject the batteries that are inside the device.
- Hold each button on the remote for 2 seconds.
- Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Place the batteries of your DISH remote back.
Tip: The DISH remote can be discharged properly only if you hold the power button on the remote while there are no batteries inside.
2. Change the Default Output Device
One of the reasons why you’re unable to adjust the volume of your TV/DISH receiver is that an improper audio output device is selected.
All TV devices have a setting that allows you to alter the audio output and connect a soundbar or any other audio system to your device.
- DISH receivers automatically detect audio devices connected to your TV
How to Change Default Audio Output Device On TV:
- Using your TV remote, head into the settings.
- Navigate to the “Audio” or “Audio Settings” tab.
- Select the Default Output Device option.
- Choose “Default” from the drop-down menu.
- Attempt to adjust the volume now!
Info: The “Default” option in the audio output device configuration stands for your TV’s in-built speakers.
Keep in mind that any connected soundbars or audio systems will become inactive until the audio output option is set to “Soundbar” or “Speakers”.
3. Restore the Remote to Default Settings
Now that we’ve verified the DISH remote volume not working is not caused by interruptions in the audio settings of the TV, the next step is to factory reset the remote.
Keep in mind that resetting your DISH remote is not possible without a receiver.
- Using the remote with a TV only will not allow the reset!
Follow these instructions to reset your DISH remote:
- Press the “SAT” button on the remote control.
- Go to your receiver and press “SYSTEM INFO”.
- To finalize the reset, press “SAT” on your remote again.
Info: Keep in mind that resetting the remote control will erase the configuration of the device made in your receiver’s system.
It will also create a new programming profile for the remote!
4. Unplug All Third-Party Devices!
It is possible that the external (third-party) devices in your TV setup are causing interference with the DISH remote’s volume.
We suggest unplugging all externally connected devices to your TV or receiver and then checking if the DISH remote will now be able to adjust the volume.
- Unplug all devices associated with Coax, HDMI, or RCA from your TV/receiver!
Also don’t forget to check if the “Default Audio Device” has changed in some way.
Some TV systems may adjust the default audio device automatically, once there’s an alternation in the connected devices.
Tip: Head into your TV’s “Audio Settings” and check if the default device is selected!
5. Swap the Old DISH Batteries
Perhaps, this problem could be due to your DISH remote’s batteries and the fact that they are starting to wear out.
As the batteries of any remote age, different issues may start occurring with the device, such as problems with the power button, channel buttons, and of course, volume.
What Batteries Does My DISH Remote Use?
|DISH Voice 54.0, 50.0, 52.0, 40.0, 54.0
|2 AA batteries
|4 AAA batteries
|2 AA batteries
|2 AA batteries
Alert: Make sure that the remotes are making proper contact with the electrical poles in the battery compartment.
6. Reprogram the DISH Remote!
If only the volume buttons are not working but your DISH remote is otherwise functional, this may be a result of improper programming.
The DISH receiver allows your remote to program with any auxiliary device, including your TV, audio system, DVD, consoles, and more.
How to Program DISH Remote to Receiver:
- Go to the DISH Network menu.
- Select the “Remote Control” button.
- Choose the desired device you wish to pair.
- Select your device’s brand.
- Press on “Next” and wait.
How to Program DISH Remote to Any TV (Without Receiver):
- Turn on your television device.
- Hold “TV” on the DISH remote.
- Press the pound (#) button.
- Hit the red power button.
- Keep pressing “UP” every second.
- Wait for the TV to turn off.
- Attempt to turn on the TV with your remote.
Info: If programming your DISH remote to a TV without a receiver doesn’t work out, it’s best to contact DISH for more assistance.
7. Factory Reset the Receiving Device!
If nothing worked out so far, we strongly recommend performing a factory reset on either your DISH receiver or the associated TV.
It’s a technique to erase the programmed profile of the DISH remote and start cleaning by setting up the software of your device from scratch!
How to Factory Reset DISH Receiver:
- Press the HOME button on the remote.
- Navigate to the “My DishTV” page.
- Go into the “Tools” configuration tab.
- Scroll down to “Factory Reset”.
- Press “OK” on your DISH remote.
- Choose “Reset” from the options.
- Follow the rest of the instructions!
How to Factory Reset a TV Device:
Info: The factory reset instructions vary on each TV model!
- Go into the Settings of your TV.
- Navigate to the “System” tab.
- Press on “Reset” > “Factory Reset Everything”
- Confirm the process and follow the prompts!
Alert: Do not interact with the TV or DISH receiver while it is still resetting!
8. Try with a Universal Remote!
To identify if this problem is really related to your DISH remote, our best suggestion is to test and program a universal remote.
If the universal TV remote control manages to adjust the volume of your TV or receiver, then we will know your DISH device is due for replacement!
How to Pair a Universal Remote to a DISH Receiver/TV?
Connecting any universal remote to your DISH receiver/TV is possible but also varies on the remote itself.
Some universal remotes cannot pair with TV boxes while others can so it’s important to check the papers of your universal remotes to learn about the supported units.
- Hold “Power” on your universal remote to pair it to your TV or receiver!
Info: To check if the pairing was successful, press “power” again and determine if the TV box or DISH receiver will shut down!
If you’re still reading, it means we couldn’t fix the volume on your DISH remote control.
In such a case, our best opinion is to seek professional assistance, either from a technician in your area to examine the remote or from DISH themselves.
Tip: Contact DISH Customer Support and report the issue you’ve been facing!
In this guide, we’ve learned that when DISH TV remote volume not working, the best solution to try is to discharge the remote and change the default output device.
If that didn’t work, we restore the default settings of the remote and clean it thoroughly!