In order to connect Honeywell thermostat to Google Home you must already have a ready Google Home system.
Then, voice-operating the Honeywell thermostat requires a Google Home assistant that will accept your commands and broadcast them to the thermostat.
To operate a Honeywell thermostat with Google Home, you must get the Google Home app first and add the thermostat to the devices section.
Next, assign the thermostat to a Google Home room and broadcast voice commands through a Google assistant.
There is much more involved, so let’s start with the most important first!
Is Honeywell Compatible With Google Home?
Most of the thermostats that are compatible with Wi-Fi can be connected with Google Home, including all of Honeywell’s thermostat lineup.
Integrating the thermostat with a service allows access to voice commands, custom features, and remote thermostat access.
- Do you have Google Home Assistant?
To gain maximum advantage from the Honeywell and Google Home relation, we recommend having at least one Google Home speaker.
You can still announce voice commands without a physical Google Home speaker, but this will broadcast the message to all connected devices.
Tip: For a smooth, error-free experience with Honeywell and Google Home, we recommend using any speaker with an integrated Google Home assistant.
How to Connect Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home?
Note: If you’re connecting a Honeywell thermostat to Google Home for the first time, we strongly recommend following all of the steps below!
1. Setup Google Home & Honeywell
In order to link Honeywell with Google Home, it is necessary to undergo some initial preparation first.
One of the primary requirements for connecting the thermostat to a third-party service is registering in the Honeywell app and linking your profile to Google Home.
Keep in mind that Honeywell has two applications, the Honeywell Home App and the Total Connect Comfort app.
You can use either of the applications to set up the thermostat and enable the voice command feature that can be used in the Google Home app later.
- Home App vs Total Connect App!
Unlike the Honeywell Home app which is used for managing all types of Honeywell devices, the Total Connect App lets you access advanced thermostat customizations.
- The Total Connect Comfort app can be used with any Wi-Fi thermostat!
In relation to Google Home, you must add the Honeywell thermostat to either of the applications and undergo the necessary setup steps.
In that regard, start Honeywell Home or Total Connect and press the “Add Device” button. Afterward, follow the instructions given to complete the link.
- How to Get the Google Home App?
Here’s how to acquire the Google Home app on your mobile in easy steps:
- Launch the App Store/Google Play on your mobile device/tablet.
- Press the search field and type “Google Home” and press “Search”.
- Tap on the first result and press the “Download” or “Get” button.
- How to LinkAccount with Google Home?
To end the preparation, double-check if you have a linked Google account within the Google Home app.
If this is the first time you install the Google Home app, launch the platform and follow the given instructions to associate a Google account with the platform.
2. Connect Phone to Google Home’s WiFi
To integrate the Honeywell thermostat with Google Home, you must connect your mobile device to the same WiFi as the Google Home speaker.
This is mandatory for operating the devices added to the Google Home application via voice commands.
- Connect your mobile device to the same WiFi as the Google Home speaker!
Can I Operate Google Home Devices Without a Speaker?
There is a way to broadcast on all Google Home devices added to the application.
All you have to do is say “Hey Google, broadcast…” and the type of message you wish to broadcast.
Tip: Instead of “broadcast”, you could also use “shout”, “tell everyone” or “announce”!
3. Connect the Honeywell Thermostat
Next, we will add the Honeywell thermostat to the Google Home app and assign it to a room.
To complete the connection, you have to choose the Honeywell app that has the thermostat added and link your account to the platform.
Searching for “Honeywell” in the Google Home app will display the following:
- Honeywell Air Comfort
- Honeywell Home
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort (US)
How to Add a Honeywell Thermostat to Google Home?
- Launch the Google Home app on your mobile device.
- Tap the “+” (Add) button on the top-right of the home page.
- Press on the “Set up device” button in the middle of the screen.
- Choose the “Works with Google” option and search “Honeywell”.
- Tap “Continue” in order to allow all permissions for the device.
- Enter the Resideo login information and follow the instructions.
Note: At some point during the setup, you will have to select the Honeywell app you’re using!
4. Assign the Thermostat to a Room!
In order to easily control a room’s temperature and access a variety of advanced settings for the thermostat, you must assign it to a Google Home room.
With Google Home, you can create a devices group for every room of your house to bring your smart home to the next level.
Here’s how to assign the Honeywell thermostat to any Google Home room:
- Access the Google Home app on your mobile device.
- Press the “Menu” tab on the top left corner of the app.
- Navigate to the “Rooms” tab from the options below.
- Either pick “SELECT A ROOM” or “ADD A NEW ROOM”.
- Select the box next to the Honeywell thermostat next.
- Press the “Done” button in order to assign the thermostat.
Tip: If you’re creating a Google Home room, name it after the thermostat for better orientation!
5. Test Pronouncing a Voice Command
Any voice command you pronounce to the Google Home assistant in relation to the thermostat will make changes from now on.
You can tell the Google Assistant to adjust the temperature of the thermostat, adjust schedule settings or power the device ON/OFF.
Honeywell Thermostat Sample Voice Commands:
- To control the temperature, say “Raise/Lower/Set the temperature”.
- To turn off heating/cooling, say “Turn the thermostat to cool/heat mode”.
- Switch the thermostat ON/OFF, say “Switch off” or “Turn on” the thermostat”.
- To change the temperature, say “Set the <Room Name> thermostat to 65”.
- To receive temp information, simply say “What’s the temperature <Room>”.
Note: If the assistant doesn’t recognize a voice command, make sure you pronounce it loud and clear, without any interruptions.
Honeywell Thermostat Won’t Connect to Google Home?
In case the Honeywell thermostat won’t connect to Google Home, follow the tips below:
- Google Home App Problems
One of the primary reasons that the Honeywell thermostat will not complete the Google Home setup is potential application problems.
To fix any issues with Google Home, check if the app is running the latest version, clear the app cache for the app and reinstall the platform.
Tip: Activate “Automatic Updates” for the Google Home app to receive updates periodically.
- Internet Connection Faults
One of the primary reasons for connection faults between the Honeywell thermostat and Google Home is the internet connection status.
Remember that the Google Home device and your thermostat must both be connected to the same and working wireless connection.
Tip: In case of any WiFi or internet issues, power cycle your network router!
- An issue with the Power Supply!
Potential power problems with the Honeywell thermostat may lead to wireless connection problems with third-party services.
In order to refresh the power of the thermostat and fix any issues, we recommend the power cycle process, which is achieved by ejecting the batteries.
Quick Tip: Keep the batteries of the thermostat removed for at least 30 seconds!
- Software Fault with the Thermostat
If there’s a settings problem with the Honeywell thermostat, we recommend the factory reset process.
To perform a factory reset, press the Menu icon and go to “Thermostat Information” > “Date Code” > “Installer Options” > “Reset” > “Factory Reset”.
Info: The factory reset will make the Honeywell thermostat dormant for about 1-2 minutes!
To connect Honeywell thermostat to Google Home, all you have to do is link a Honeywell account with Google and add the thermostat to the “Devices”.
After that, pronounce a voice command loud and clear to the Google Home assistant to observe the automation.
If you have more technical inquiries, visit our blog!