Can you use a Roku remote on a Firestick? Let’s find out how to do this!
Streaming devices, like Roku and Firestick, allow access to your favorite online content on your TV. So, you’ll wonder if your Roku remote works with your Firestick or vice versa.
Here’s a detailed guide on using your Roku remote on a Firestick!
Detailed Guide on Can You Use a Roku Remote On a Firestick
Will Roku remote work with Firestick? By the end of this article, you will have a clear answer.
First, we need to talk about how these streaming remotes work and what makes them compatible with other platforms.
There are differences between each, and you need to use the right one that’s capable of communicating with both devices.
Understanding Remote Compatibility
Remotes communicate with devices using either infrared (IR) or Bluetooth technology.
IR remotes use lightwaves that need a clear path to your device, while Bluetooth remotes use radio waves that go through obstacles.
Roku remotes use both of these technologies, depending on the model. The older models use IR, while the newer ones use Bluetooth.
To tell which type you have, look for a pairing button on the back of your remote. If it has one, it’s a Bluetooth remote.
Firestick devices use Bluetooth technology. They also have an HDMI port to connect to other devices.
Do Roku Remotes Work with Firestick Out of the Box
The short answer is NO. Roku remotes and Firestick do not work by default because they use different communication technologies.
If you have an IR Roku remote, it will not work on Firestick because it doesn’t have an IR receiver. It only works with Bluetooth remotes.
If you have a Bluetooth Roku remote, it will not also work with your Firestick because they are not paired.
Which Roku Remotes Work with Firestick
The only way to use your Roku remote on a Firestick is to pair them using a third-party app or adapter. However, not all Roku remotes support these features.
The following table shows which Roku remotes work with Firestick and the methods to pair them:
|Roku Remote Model||Works with Firestick||Pairing Method|
|Standard IR remote||No||None|
|Enhanced Voice Remote||Yes||Adapter|
|Voice Remote Pro||Yes||Adapter or App|
|Streaming Stick Remote||Yes||Adapter|
Pairing Your Roku Remote with Your Firestick
To use your Roku remote with your Firestick, you need to pair them using an adapter or a smartphone app.
An adapter attaches to your Roku remote and sends IR signals to your Firestick. It also has buttons to control other devices connected to your Firestick.
An app lets you use your smartphone as a universal remote for your Firestick. It also features voice control, keyboard input, media playback, and more.
Here are the steps to pair your Roku remote and Firestick using either method:
Using an adapter
- Buy an adapter compatible with your Roku remote model.
Some popular choices are:
- Slide your adapter onto the side of the remote to attach it.
- Turn on your TV and Firestick and ensure they connect to the same HDMI port.
- Hold the Home button on your remote for 10 seconds to put it in pairing mode.
- Wait for the message “Pairing Remote” to appear on your TV screen.
- Press any button on the adapter to pair it with your Firestick.
- Wait for the “Remote Connected” message on your TV screen.
- Follow the instructions to program the buttons on the adapter.
- Test the buttons to make sure they work as expected.
Using an app
- Download an app compatible with both your Roku device and Firestick.
Some popular choices include:
- Install the app on your smartphone and launch it.
- Turn on your TV and Firestick.
- Ensure they’re connected to the same WiFi network as your smartphone.
- Follow the instructions on the app to scan your Firestick and connect to it.
- Enable Bluetooth to pair with your Roku remote.
- Hold the Home button on your Roku remote for 10 seconds.
- You will see the message “Pairing remote.”
- Press any button on the app.
- Wait for the message “Remote connected.”
Note: Use the app or adapter to control your Firestick and other devices.
Limitations of Your Roku Remote on a Firestick
Using your Roku remote on your Firestick is convenient but has some limitations.
Let’s discuss the features that work with your Firestick and some tips to overcome their limitations.
Features That Work with Firestick
- Navigate using the directional pad, select, home, back, and menu buttons
- Supports playback functions like play/pause, rewind, fast forward, and skip
- Use voice control by pressing the microphone button to access Alexa
Workarounds to These Limitations
- Control your TV or soundbar volume with an adapter or app.
- Manage the power of your TV or soundbar with an adapter or app with power buttons.
- Launch your preferred Firestick apps using voice control or app shortcuts.
Important: When using third-party apps or adapters, ensure they are compatible with your TV, soundbar, and Firestick model for a seamless experience.
Alternatives to Using Roku Remotes on Your Firestick
If you don’t want to use your Roku remote on your Firestick or don’t have a compatible model, there are some alternatives to it.
Universal Remotes That Work with Firestick
One way is to program your universal remote to control multiple devices using IR or Bluetooth technology.
This ensures a unified and convenient control solution for all your entertainment equipment.
Some popular universal remotes that work with Firestick are:
These remotes have buttons to manage all your Firestick features and other connected devices. They also offer activity customization, macros, favorites, and more.
To use a universal remote with your Firestick, follow these steps:
- Buy a universal remote that is compatible with your Firestick and other devices.
- Install the app or software that comes with it on your smartphone or computer.
- Follow the instructions to set up your universal remote and add your devices.
- Program the buttons on your universal remote to control your devices using the app.
- Test the buttons on the universal remote to make sure they work.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget to set up the voice search so you will quickly find the show or movie you want to watch without navigating through menus.
Tips and Tricks When Using a Roku Remote with Firestick
Using a universal remote with your Firestick makes watching TV much easier and more convenient.
Here are some tips and tricks you help you use your Roku remote with your Firestick more effectively and efficiently.
- Use the Home button to return to the Firestick home screen from any app or menu.
- Use the Menu button to access the Firestick settings menu from any app.
- Use the Back button to return to the previous screen or exit the app.
- Use the Microphone button to access Alexa and perform various tasks.
- Use the Play/Pause button to pause or resume media playback on any app.
- Use the Rewind and Fast Forward buttons to skip backward or forward 10 seconds.
- Use the Skip buttons to skip to the next or previous episode or track.
- Use an adapter or an app with shortcuts to launch your favorite apps.
- Use voice control or an app with keyboard input to enter text on Firestick.
Note: These tips and tricks enhance your interaction when using a Roku remote with a Firestick, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience.
The answer to the question Can you use a Roku remote on a Firestick is Not Readily. To use them together, you need an adapter or app for pairing. Note that only Bluetooth Roku remotes are compatible, and there are limitations.
Luckily, you’ll address these through workarounds like voice control, universal remotes, and smartphone apps.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.