BT TV box not working? Well, this guide aims to reveal all functional solutions to the issue!
Common issues with the BT TV box often include power withdrawals or potential equipment damage.
The first step in uncovering the best-working solutions for the complications with the BT TV streaming box is to review the underlying causes and influencing factors. Let’s start!
The reason why a BT TV box won’t work or start at all could be because of defective power equipment or issues with the HDMI connection. To fix the issue, power cycle the TV box and verify that all cables are in good condition.
Remain invested to learn more!
Why My BT TV Box Is Not Working?
If the TV box has wholly ceased all signs of functionality or freezes periodically, it could be two possible things.
One of the possibilities is that the BT TV box is experiencing power issues or has developed a significant hardware malfunction, causing the device to stop functioning.
Let’s review all of the possible causes for inactive BT TV box devices:
Defective BT Hardware?
If the issue of the BT TV box has particularly started occurring after a power outage, this could be a sign of a burnt motherboard or defective CPU.
There could be multiple signs of severe HW malfunction, such as horizontal/vertical screen lines, image bleeding, and weird sounds.
Tip: Check for burn spots or melted plastic around the power ports and connectors!
How to Fix When BT TV Box Not Working in Easy Steps?
Tip: Follow our steps consecutively for peak efficiency!
1. Reset the Power of the BT TV Box!
If the BT TV box won’t power on or freezes halfway into the loading screen, the device has likely encountered a fault with the electricity supply.
It is advisable to conduct a power cycle first to address underlying complications with the power income of the streaming box and exclude this!
Follow these instructions to reset the power supply of the BT TV streaming box:
- Disconnect the power adapter from the back of the TV box.
- Hold the “power/standby” button on the front of the TV box.
- Release the power button once 15 seconds have passed.
- Reconnect the power cable of the box back into the outlet.
- Important: Use direct connection and avoid strips and plugs!
Note: The power cycle is exceptionally effective against hardware/overheating TV box issues!
2. Correct the Selected TV Source
If you turn on the BT TV box, but nothing appears on the TV screen, perhaps the unit is working, but you’re attempting to view an empty source.
It’s crucial to note where the BT TV box HDMI is connected on the back of the TV, and select the correct input source from the TV’s settings!
Here’s how to correct the selected source on most TV devices:
- Press the “Home” button on the TV’s remote control.
- Navigate to the “Sources” section in the options menu.
- Determine to which port is the BT TV box connected.
- Highlight the corresponding source in the TV’s menu.
- Press the “OK” button on the TV remote control to select.
- Check if the broadcast of the TV will now be displayed.
How to Fix Issues with the HDMI Connection?
Even if the correct input source is selected, underlying issues with the HDMI connection could result in audio/video loss and flickering of the TV screen.
To address any problems with the HDMI, we recommend double-checking the cable connection and the TV and TV box ports.
Here are multiple working ways to troubleshoot the HDMI connection:
- Inspect the hardware of the HDMI cable for damages.
- Maintenance of the HDMI ports of the BT box and TV.
- Replace the HDMI cable and test the BT box broadcast.
Warning: Any visible damage on the HDMI cable port or connectors is a prerequisite for a black TV screen output.
3. Disconnect Third-Party Equipment
Any type of external device that reroutes the power supply of the TV box or alters the output in any way could be the reason for the malfunction of the streaming player.
So, the next step is to uninstall third-party equipment and verify no other devices are connected to the box’ setup.
Remove the following devices from the BT TV box’ setup:
- Power strips or dividers.
- Outlet connector devices.
- Third-party HDMI cables.
- Speakers or audio systems.
Temporarily unplug all of the following devices and leave only the HDMI and the power cable of the BT TV box connected. Do not reconnect any of the devices until the cause of the issue is identified.
When ready, reconnect the BT TV box from the power and test whether it works!
4. Inspect the Remote Control
It’s worth considering whether the issue is with the cable box’s remote control rather than the device itself.
To explore all possibilities, the next step is to discharge and replace the BT TV box remote control batteries and determine if that will cause an output from the streaming box.
The BT TV remote control takes 2 AAA batteries for optimal functionality.
How to Discharge BT TV Remote Control?
Before replacing the batteries, discharge the BT TV remote control by removing the battery compartment cover and removing the 2 AAA batteries from inside.
After that, hold the “power” button on the remote for 30 seconds and place the batteries back in. Test the BT TV box.
If that doesn’t work, insert a fresh set of two AAA batteries into the BT TV remote control and verify they are positioned correctly.
After that, point the remote towards the BT TV box and test pressing the “power” or “volume” buttons.
Note: Consider significant factors that could block the remote signal, such as interference!
5. Reset the BT TV Box System!
Assuming resetting the system of the BT TV box through the menus is currently not possible, there’s a way to complete a factory reset through the built-in buttons.
The factory reset on a BT Box without menu settings differs on each model, so continue by discovering your type.
Warning: The factory reset will erase all stored recordings and settings!
How to Factory Reset the BT TV Box Pro?
- First, unplug the power adapter cable from the TV box.
- Hold the “Reset” button on the right-hand side of the box.
- Plug the adapter into the wall without releasing the button.
- Wait for three more seconds after connecting to the wall.
- Then, while holding the “reset” press “power” on the front.
- Hold for another 5 seconds, and then release both buttons.
- Finally, check if the display of the connected TV will change.
How to Factory Reset the BT TV Recordable/4K Recordable Box?
- Switch the TV box’s power to off by unplugging it from power.
- Hold the “down arrow” button on the top panel of the TV box.
- Don’t release for 5 seconds and wait for the display to change.
- Press the Standby/Power button on the front of the BT TV box.
- Then, while holding the buttons, reconnect the power adapter.
- Check if the “Maintenance Mode” menu will appear on-screen.
- Then, select the “Factory reset, keep recordings” in the menu.
- Wait for the BT TV recordable box to complete the factory reset.
How to Factory Reset the BT TV Non-recordable Box?
Here’s how to reset the BT TV non-recordable box:
- Disconnect the power cable of the BT TV box from the power.
- Hold the “down arrow” button on the BT TV box remote control.
- Wait for the “Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N” menu to appear.
- Hold the Standby/Power button on the front of the BT TV box.
- While holding, reconnect the power adapter to the power outlet.
- Highlight “Factory Reset” by scrolling down using the remote.
- Then, press the “OK” button to confirm the BT TV box reset.
- Wait until the factory reset is complete and the TV box reboots.
Info: You can perform a factory reset without losing your recordings only on a recordable BT TV box, so as per your situation, making a backup should be considered.
To fix when the BT TV box not working, reconnect the power adapter and inspect the remote control’s functionality.
If the issue persists, remove any third-party equipment from the BT TV box setup and conduct a factory reset to eliminate any possible bugs!
Follow our blog for more BT box troubleshooting!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.