Boost mobile data not working and you’re wondering why? Stay with us to learn more!
Boost data not working can be attributed to network problems, incorrect APN settings, or software issues on your device. To resolve the problem, check your network connection, verify the APN settings, and troubleshoot any software-related issues.
The issue mainly revolves around the network and roaming possibilities so this is what to inspect.
Let’s start with identifying the top reasons for problems with the Boost Mobile data!
7 Reasons Why Boost Mobile Cellular Data Not Working!
- Network congestion – the Boost mobile operator sometimes experiences huge loads.
- Incorrect APN settings – inaccurate APN settings may impact data usage.
- SIM card problems – improper SIM card placement/installation cases data issues.
- Data limit exceeded – the Boost mobile data usage threshold has been exceeded.
- Roaming restrictions – when outside Boost’s reception, you won’t have any data.
- Device network issue – the network settings on your mobile might be misconfigured.
Let’s next unwrap a working solution against each of these possibilities!
How to Fix When Boost Mobile Data Not Working?
Note: Follow the steps from the guide in chronological order!
Reboot your Mobile Device
The first step is something simple, yet effective and is to simply reboot your mobile device!
A quick and easy way to address any impermanent functionality problems with your device and give the network card inside of your smartphone a refresh.
Here’s how to reboot your mobile device easily:
- Press and hold the Power button on the side of your phone.
- Once the power menu appears, select the “Reboot” option.
- Wait for your mobile device to turn off and then start again.
Note: In case your SIM card is not detected after the restart, jump to step #4.
Adjust The Network Settings!
The APN settings on your mobile are the bond between the Boost mobile and the destination of the data packets.
In that regard open the Settings on your mobile go to Mobile Networks, then select Access Point Names and edit the settings as per the table below:
Also, Adjust Mobile Device Network Settings:
- Mobile (Cellular) Data must be set to “ON”
- Network Provider must be set to “Boost”
- Cellular Data must be adjusted to “4G” or “5G”.
Tip: Use your phone search field in the options tab to find all of these settings!
Verify Coverage in your Area
The Boost mobile internet not working could have something to do with the coverage in your area.
If there’s no cellular signal reaching your current location, your SIM will be disconnected and therefore your Boost data service will be temporarily disabled.
- Locations, where the signal is unavailable, are also called “dead zones”!
Examples of “dead zones” and areas where cellular is unavailable:
- Underground tunnels or basements
- Rural grounds or remote areas
- Thick forests and/or dense vegetation
- Hilly terrain or mountains forests
You can check the Boost mobile reception by taking a look at the top-right corner of your mobile device.
You’ll discover 4 total bars, where you’ll need at least 2 in order for the Boost mobile data to work at decent speeds.
Note: Provinces are noted as “good signal strength” zones and areas!
Reseat the Boost Mobile SIM
Incorrect placement of the SIM card chip inside of your device’s tray could result in data issues with Boost mobile.
Reseating the SIM is the best way to verify that the installation of the chip is correct and it has been successfully attached to your device.
Here are the steps to reseat a SIM card in any smartphone:
- Power off your device.
- Locate the SIM card tray.
- Use a SIM card eject tool or a paper clip to pop the tray.
- Take out the holder along with the SIM card.
- Check for any damage or debris on the SIM card.
- Tip: Use the orientational (cut) SIM corner.
- Embed the card into the mobile SIM tray.
Important: Immediately after the reboot you’ll receive a message about whether a SIM card has been detected and you would need to insert the PIN code.
Update your Phone’s Firmware
Assuming that you have access to a WiFi network, you should update the firmware of your mobile device to upgrade the compatibility with the Boost network.
If your device is using an old or unsupported software version, the Boost cellular may not be available to you.
The firmware on most devices is updated in the following way:
- Enter Settings on your mobile device.
- Navigate to the “Firmware” or “Software”.
- Press the “Check for Updates” button.
- Wait for the scan until an update is found.
- Select “Download & Install” to begin!
Note: The update that has started on your device will averagely take 3 - 5 minutes, based on the performance of your device and the WiFi speed.
Reset the Network (APN) Settings!
If your Boost mobile internet not working even when your phone is already running on a new firmware, perhaps it’s the eligibility of the network settings.
To avoid bothering with each network setting individually, we suggest performing the complete “Network Settings Reset”.
Alert: After the network reset, all connection data (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Cellular) will be erased.
Follow these instructions to reset the network setting on your phone:
- Head into the Settings of your phone.
- Tap and enter the “General” tab.
- Scroll down and choose “Reset”.
- Tap on “Reset Network Settings”.
- Confirm and wait for the process.
Check your Boost Account Status
It’s likely that your Boost account got suspended and you’re no longer able to benefit from the provided mobile data.
- A Boost account suspensions typically happen due to unpaid fees!
Assuming that you have the mobile application of Boost, sign into your account and check the status.
Though most of the member services will be temporarily disabled, you’ll be able to view pending fees through the application and complete necessary payments.
Note: All Boost services will be disabled 90 days after the last paid bill.
Factory Reset your Phone
The ultimate solution for fixing any problem with mobile data is the Factory Reset.
Perhaps your device is experiencing a severe software issue so this is the strongest measure!
- The factory reset will erase all apps, content, and data on your mobile!
Here’s how to complete a factory reset on your mobile device:
- Head into the Settings of your phone.
- Locate and enter the General tab.
- Scroll all the way down and press “Reset”.
- On the next page, select “Erase Everything”.
- (Optional) Confirm using your device’s PIN.
- Once verified, the factory reset will begin.
Note: The reset process of your mobile could take up to 30 minutes!
Mobile Device Locked to Operator!
In case all else fails, perhaps your mobile device and SIM card are not supported or there is a compatibility issue that’s impacting the data.
The final step is to eject the SIM from your mobile device and insert the card into a secondary device to test the mobile data.
In case the data is working well on the alternative unit, then the old mobile is locked to only one mobile operator!
Note: Mobile devices that are locked to a certain operator can’t be unlocked!
How to Fix When Boost Mobile Data Not Working iPhone?
Here are several methods to try when Boost data isn’t working on your iPhone:
- Update your iPhone Software
Updating your iPhone could be done in the following way:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download & Install Update!
- Check the APN Settings
Here’s how to reach into the settings of your iPhone and locate the APN settings:
- Head to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network!
Tip: Use the APN settings table from the second step in the guide!
Contact Boost Customer Support
If all else fails, it’s time to get in touch with Boost directly.
They’ll warn you of any ongoing outages or downs with the Boost network so navigate to the Boost Support Center!
Whenever the Boost mobile data not working we need to start by thoroughly inspecting the network settings of the mobile phone.
The next step is to ensure the SIM placement is correct, and double-check the availability of mobile data and your Boost Mobile account.
Visiting our blog again for more Boost Mobile content!
Read Next: Why is Boost Mobile Hotspot Not Working?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.