Amazon Fire Stick blurry picture? Don’t worry! This guide is designed to help you address the blurry picture problem on your Amazon Firestick at once.
We will go through all potential causes and provide highly-effective solutions to restore the crisp and clear visuals on your Firestick!
The blurry picture on Amazon Firestick can be caused by HDMI problems, issues with the internet connection, or misconfigured display settings.
To approach correctly, reconnect the Firestick to another HDMI port, update its firmware, and check the display settings.
To diagnose the problem appropriately, let’s find out what causes it first!
What Causes Amazon Fire Stick Fuzzy Picture?
Understanding all of the underlying factors that could contribute to blurry/fuzzy Firestick picture quality will help you troubleshoot the problem effectively.
So let’s review all of the possibilities:
- A problem with the HDMI connection.
- Improper Firestick display settings.
- Outdated firmware of the Firestick.
- A malfunctioning HDMI input/source.
- A problem with the stream/broadcast.
- Firestick power income insufficiency.
- Interference with a third-party device.
Amazon Fire TV Stick Blurry Picture Fixed in 8 Easy Steps!
Tip: To resolve your issue faster, follow our steps in chronological order!
1. Reconnect Firestick’s HDMI
A straightforward solution when encountering blurry/fuzzy pictures on any Amazon Fire Stick is to reconnect the device from the HDMI.
This will refresh the picture and resolve any issues related to low resolution, signal transmission issues, fuzzy pictures, and HDCP problems.
Unplug the Firestick from the back of the TV and wait for 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
Improper HDMI connection in most cases results in degraded signal, leading to a blurry picture, and sometimes you might have to switch to another (not worn out) HDMI port on your TV.
Note: While the Firestick is unplugged, inspect the HDMI port for visual hardware damage!
2. Adjust the Display Settings
The blurry/fuzzy picture can be caused by incorrect display settings on the Amazon Firestick.
This method will uncover the proper display settings configuration for both Fire TV 4K and the Fire TV 4K Max, so you can be confident in the configuration…
Best Display Settings for Fire TV 4K?
To access the display settings on Firestick 4K, go to Settings > Display & Sounds > Display.
- Display > Video Resolution > Set to “Auto”
- Display > Color Depth > Set to “10 bits”
- Display > Dynamic Range > Set to “Always HDR”
- Display > Color Format > Set to “YCbCr”
Best Display Settings for Fire TV 4K Max?
To access display settings on Firestick 4K Max, go to Settings > Display & Sounds > Display.
- Display > Video Resolution > Set to “Auto”
- Display > Color Depth > Set to up to “12 bits”
- Display > Dynamic Range Settings > Set to “Always HDR”
Note: Other video settings could not be potential suspects to the blurry picture of the Firestick!
3. Power Reset the Firestick
A practical approach against the Amazon Fire stick blurry picture is the power reset process.
Here we will uncover all pros of the power reset (power cycle), how to conduct it properly, and also how to determine whether your Fire TV needs an external supply to function properly.
- Reset Firestick (With External Power Supply):
If the Firestick is connected to power externally (via micro-USB to USB cable), the power reset will indefinitely have more impact in terms of resolving power-related issues.
Simply, unplug the micro-USB cable from the Firestick and then wait for 40-45 seconds for a complete discharge.
- Reset Firestick (No External Power Supply):
The Firestick can also be powered without being plugged into an outlet, instead, you can only use the USB cable (no adapter) to plug the stick into the TV’s USB port.
However, sometimes this causes issues, especially when the Firestick remains underpowered.
The primary way of knowing that the Firestick’s power supply isn’t enough is the warning “Low Power” messages that will constantly appear on the screen.
In case of a such message on the screen, switch from (USB only) to (USB + power adapter).
4. Update the Firestick Device
An outdated firmware version is a potential suspect to the blurry picture troubles the Firestick has been facing.
It is necessary to install all system updates on the Firestick, as soon as they are released by Amazon and are ready to be downloaded on your device.
- Downloading updates on Firestick requires an active internet connection!
Follow these instructions to update the system of your Firestick:
- Select “Settings” from the home screen of the Firestick.
- Navigate to the “My Fire TV” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down and press “About” > “Check for System Updates”.
- The update discovered on the Firestick may take a moment.
- Once the download completes, press “Install System Update”.
Note: During the system update, your Firestick may shut down and reboot periodically!
5. Diagnose Issues with the Internet
By default, your Firestick’s only way of establishing an internet connection is via Wi-Fi.
If there’s a problem in the wireless connection between the streaming device and the network router, poor connectivity can lead to blurry pictures within most online Firestick streaming applications.
How to Reconnect Firestick to WiFi?
- From the home screen on the Firestick, go to Settings.
- Choose “Network” and wait for the device to complete the scan.
- Once found, highlight your home network and enter the password.
- Press the “Connect” button to establish a connection with the network!
How to Fix the Firestick Wi-Fi Issues?
- Apply these steps if the Firestick won’t stay connected or has poor connectivity!
- Power cycle the WiFi network router or modem.
- Disconnect unused devices from the network.
- Reconnect the service (coax/optical/fiber) cable.
- Stop activating VPN, or enabled router Proxy!
Alert: In case of any identified internet income issues, contact your service provider for help!
6. Clear Amazon Firestick Cache
One of the ways to improve the picture quality on your Firestick is to clear the piled-up app cache.
If you’re experiencing this problem within a specific application or platform, it could be due to overuse of the app, resulting in corruption in the app data files, leading to picture issues!
Follow these instructions to erase the app cache on your Amazon Firestick:
- Go to the Settings of your Firestick and access “Applications”.
- Navigate and enter the “Manage Installed Applications” tab.
- Select the app that has a blurry picture and access the settings.
- Select the “Clear Cache” button and then press “Clear Data”.
- (Optional) Repeat these steps for all blurry picture applications.
Tip: Clear the cache of the Firestick regularly to maintain top-notch loading performance!
7. Reset Firestick to Default Settings!
If the picture fault is related to the system of the Firestick, a factory reset is going to resolve the blurry picture problem.
Keep in mind that the factory reset is going to erase all content, data, and settings on the Firestick, including all installed applications.
We recommend backing up!
Here’s how to conduct a factory reset on any Fire TV device in easy steps:
- Press the Home button on the Firestick remote.
- Navigate to the Settings tab at the top of the screen.
- Select “My Fire TV” and scroll all the way down.
- Highlight “Reset to Factory Defaults” then “Reset”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it.
Info: The Firestick may reboot multiple times during the factory reset and when ready, you need to set up the device from scratch.
8. Test Firestick on Different TV
The final and most essential step is to check whether the Firestick picture will be blurry on a TV, different than the one you’re currently using.
In fact, it’s not necessary to have a secondary TV, the Firestick would work on any monitor with HDMI port support, so this way you will conclude.
- The picture is fine on the secondary monitor = the previous TV picture is blurry!
- The picture is blurry on the secondary monitor = the issue is with the Firestick…
If your Firestick picture is blurry on any monitor, it’s likely that the HDMI connector of the stick is damaged, obstructed, or malfunctioning.
The best course of action would be to seek qualified help, by contacting Amazon Customer Service for assistance.
Best of luck!
Hence, to resolve the Amazon Fire stick blurry picture, you must reconnect the Firestick from the HDMI input and verify that the device is on the latest firmware version.
In case the issue is still there, adjust the display settings and factory reset the Firestick device. Follow our blog for more technical resolutions!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.