Are you wondering why does Do Not Disturb turn itself on smartphones?
It has become essential in keeping notifications from waking you up in the middle of the night or causing embarrassing noise in the movie theater.
Unfortunately, on very rare occasions, it keeps turning on even if you don’t want to.
To fix your Do Not Disturb turn itself on issue, start by checking your settings to see if it’s set on a schedule. If it is, your phone will automatically set itself to Do Not Disturb. Hence, it keeps turning on.
If you encounter this problem, do not give up. There are several solutions you can use to fix it.
Try them one after the other until you find the golden ticket. But, it helps speed up the process if you know the exact cause of the issue.
Many love the Do Not Disturb feature, but it can be a nuisance if it keeps turning itself on at the wrong time.
It can cause interrupted sleep, which can leave you tired and frustrated the next day. To fix this, you need to know why it keeps turning itself on.
1. Scheduled Do Not Disturb
Make sure you check if you schedule a time for your Do Not Disturb alert to turn on and off automatically at specific times, like during bedtime. You may have set this, and this causes the issue for you.
2. DND Settings and Clock App Do not Agree
Within the app clock, there’s a DND toggle under the bedtime option. Make sure you also turn that off to keep the Do Not Disturb from turning itself on.
There are cases when these two do not agree, leaving you with the Do Not Disturb turning itself on.
3. Faulty Shortcut
The shortcut on the dropdown menu keeps turning on. The quick settings sometimes override changes in the settings menu.
Be sure to check this as this shortcut can set Do Not Disturb on for your device without you knowing.
4. Corrupted Files
Corrupted files can also cause the Do Not Disturb feature to disfunction. Before you do anything with your device, start with the most straightforward fix first.
Make sure your Android or Apple phone is not set to an automatically scheduled Do Not Disturb time.
Look below for several solutions to fix Do Not Disturb turn itself on Apple and Android devices. Settings can vary by OS, so make sure to follow the proper instructions for your device.
The Settings section is a boon of information for smartphones. If you check your device’s Settings, whether Android or Apple, you may discover it is set to Scheduled.
If it is, you found the culprit on the issue of your DND turning itself on.
How to check settings on an Android device:
- Locate and open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Find and select Sound & Notification.
- You’ll find the Do Not Disturb option. Go ahead and select it.
- If it is set to Schedule, deselect it by clicking Never.
How to check settings on an Apple device:
- Go to Settings and tap Focus.
- Tap Do Not Disturb to turn it on/off.
- Tap Add Schedule or Automation to set a new setting.
By checking your settings, you can quickly identify the cause of the issue and fix it. It’s simple and easy.
Android and Apple devices have a Do Not Disturb quick icon in the notification shade. Sometimes, the shortcuts can be a bit finicky in old phones.
If the quick icon is enabled and you disable Do Not Disturb elsewhere, the quick settings may override changes in the Settings menu.
How to disable Do Not Disturb from quick settings of an Android device:
- Tap on the Notification Bar at the top of the screen or swipe it down to reveal the notification shade.
- You’ll see Quick Settings. Swipe down again to reveal more.
- Disable Do Not Disturb by tapping the icon.
How to disable Do Not Disturb from quick settings of an Apple device:
- Swipe down from the top corner or swipe up from the bottom to see the Control Center.
- Tap the half-moon icon next to the Focus Control Center.
- If your phone is locked, tap or long press the crescent moon icon on the lock screen.
- Then, tap Do Not Disturb.
The quick settings panel is the fastest way to disable Do Not Disturb on any Android or Apple device.
Did you know that if you turn down the volume far enough, you will eventually put your phone on Do Not Disturb mode?
This happens a lot to people who fiddle with the volume buttons. But, don’t worry! It happens to the best.
How to disable Do Not Disturb With Volume Buttons on an Android device:
- Keep pressing the Volume Up button until your phone has reached maximum volume.
- Locate and open the Settings app.
- In the Settings menu, find Sound & Notification and select it.
- Make sure that every volume option has been set to maximum volume.
Note: Apple devices do not readily have this feature. You need to set it up to disable Do Not Disturb with your volume buttons.
- Create new automation and set Do Not Disturb as the trigger.
- Set Volume as the action.
- Decide whether the shortcut should run instantly or it should ask you first.
Not all Android devices have this option. If you can access the system function itself, you can clear the cache and data to fix your Do Not Disturb turn itself on the issue.
There are times when some of your settings get saved here and are reverted automatically.
It’s better if you’re able to clear both cache and data to ensure that Do Not Disturb won’t bother you.
- Find and open the Settings menu.
- Choose Apps.
- In the Apps menu, you’ll see a three-dot icon on the top right corner. Select it and choose Show System.
- Find the Do not disturb function and tap Force Stop.
- Choose Storage, then Clear Cache and Clear Data.
It can be pretty annoying to have this valuable feature work against you. Thankfully, there are plenty of solutions to help you fix the problem.
We hope you find one that works for you.
If your Do Not Disturb turn itself on during the worst times, check the settings and see if it’s scheduled. If it is, change the setting to Never. This simple step can tell you the cause of the problem and let you fix it right then and there.
Read Next: Do I Want Data Roaming On Or Off?
If you have a problem with your Do Not Disturb turn itself on at inappropriate times, we hope you find the methods in this post helpful.
On the other hand, if you still face issues after exhausting possible solutions, you should contact customer support for further assistance.
If you found this article helpful but have problems with another device that needs fixing, our blog will definitely help you.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.