You’re eager to catch your favorite show but something seems amiss with Hulu. Now you’re wondering why can’t I watch Hulu on my mac?
Well, rest easy!
This article will tackle the reasons behind Hulu not streaming on your mac and offer solutions to the same. Read on.
Hulu is a streaming library with thousands of TV episodes and movies from different networks.
Reasons Why You Can’t watch Hulu on Mac
The most common reasons why this happens include:
- Browser might be outdated
- Hulu might be down
- Internet download speed not sufficient
- Hulu service not available in that area
If you are unable to watch Hulu on your MacBook Pro, try signing out of Hulu and sign back in.
Solutions to Why Can’t I Watch Hulu on My Mac?
The following solutions will most likely sort this issue.
Solution #1: Check if Hulu Service is Down
The issue might have nothing to do with your device or setup. Start troubleshooting by checking whether Hulu is experiencing any technical issues.
Check #huludown hashtag on twitter.
You can also check for updates on Hulu’s official Twitter handle @hulu where they normally post issues related to breakdowns.
Solution #2: Update Your Browser
Hulu might be misbehaving because your browser is outdated. Update your browser by following these steps:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu at the corner of your screen
- On the System preferences window tap Software update
- Install all the updates or upgrades shown
If system preferences do not show software updates, follow these steps to manually update your app;
- Open App store
- On the side bar tap Updates
- Click “Update” next to the app you want to update
Note: With the most recent version of macOS, you get the most up-to-date version of Safari.
Solution #3: Check Internet Speed
For you to enjoy Hulu streaming, it is recommended that your internet download speed is above 6mbps.
Check your internet speed. This could be the reason Hulu is giving you trouble.
To check your internet speed:
- Type Fast.com on your browser and hit enter
- Your internet speed will be calculated and displayed as you watch
If the speed is less than what’s recommended, you should consider upgrading.
Solution #4: Sign Out of Hulu and Sign in Again
As a general rule, once you sign into your Hulu account there’s no need to log out for the sake of convenience.
But for the purpose of troubleshooting, you should log out then log back into your account. This might reset your account and get you back to streaming.
To sign out of your Hulu account on mac, follow these steps:
- Open the Hulu website on your mac
- Click your account name on the top right corner of the screen
- Click log out
Solution #5: Install Flash Player on Your Mac
This could be the reason why Hulu is not playing on your Mac. Some websites still use Flash. To access them you have to install Adobe flash player.
From time to time, when browsing on your Mac, alerts will pop up that there is a “Missing Plug-In”, or requests indicating that you need to install the Flash Player.
To install Adobe flash player on your Mac follow these steps:
- Click Missing plug-in button
- Click Download Flash
- This takes you to the legitimate site. Click Download now
- Wait for the downloader to initialize and complete
- After completion, the installer will appear on your Downloads folder
- Double click the Installer and click Install Adobe Flash Player
- After the installer completes installation, click Finish
Note: Even after installing Flash, it disappears whenever you update your Mac operating system.
Apple automatically blocks Flash when the version becomes outdated.
Solution #6: Clear the Hulu Web App Cache
If the Hulu web app’s cache is saved incorrectly within the web browser, It might present problems.
The next thing to do is delete Hulu’s web cache through these steps:
- On your web browser, go to preferences
- Click Privacy and security
- Click Clear browsing data
- Select Advanced and pick All time range then check all the boxes
- Click Clear data
Solution #7: Check Hulu’s Location Restrictions
Hulu is only available in the US. If you have traveled to a different country, you won’t be able to access Hulu.
The only way to go around this is to ensure location services for Hulu are turned off. To turn off location services on your mac:
- Select System preferences
- Click Security and privacy
- Select Location services
- Turn off location services or individual checkbox for every app.
Note: You can turn off location services for all websites on the Safari app.
Solution #8: Remove Your Device From Hulu Account
When all the above steps fail, the last thing you can try is to remove your device(mac) from your Hulu account and then reactivate it.
To remove your mac from your account, you have to view all devices that have been activated.
To view the devices activated in your account:
- Log into your account
- On Your account, navigate to Watch Hulu on your devices and click Manage Devices
- On the pop-up screen, you’ll see the devices linked to your account
- You will also see the option to remove the devices you no longer need
To remove a device, click Remove right next to devices you no longer need.
You can activate your mac as a new device by doing the following:
- Launch Hulu
- Click Log in on the welcome screen
- Select Activate on a computer
Note the difference between removing the app and removing devices.
Thus, if you are able to watch Hulu on your mac, you need to deactivate and then reactivate Hulu devices that you use to connect to your Hulu Account.
Read Next: How to Get Hulu on Philips Smart TV?
I hope you found your answer to why can’t I watch Hulu on my mac?
When the Hulu app fails to play on your mac, consider the steps above in troubleshooting. Keep enjoying the library of shows and live TV.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.