We are all excited when we get a new tinder notification but it can be frustrating when the Tinder notification won’t go away.
Tinder notification appears as a number right over the Tinder application. The number indicates the number of new messages.
For instance, 2 would mean you have 2 unread messages. The problem is that sometimes this number can stay even after reading all messages.
To fix the Tinder notification error, you must log out of your application and log in again.
This should help refresh your application and clear any bugs. However, before you start fixing, check to see that you have a stable connection.
There are about 5 main solutions that can be applied to fix this problem.
Keep on reading to find the appropriate one for your situation.
Causes of Tinder Notification Error
The solution applicable to your Tinder notification error depends on the cause of the error.
All tinder notification problems are not caused by the same thing. Each problem is unique and must be approached uniquely.
The main causes of tinder notification errors are:
- A poor internet connection makes the app fail to dismiss already-read messages
- Application bugs that can be caused by a cache or application data
- An Outdated application that needs to be updated
- Application notification Settings
For each of these situations, we have the perfect solution that will get your app running smoothly again.
Solutions to Tinder Notification Won’t Go Away
If you can’t get rid of the Tinder notification, the first solution should be to actually check if you have a message.
In some instances, you might think it is an error when it is not. Tinder gets a lot of messages and notifications.
If you have received so many messages, scroll through all your read messages. You might just stumble upon one that was never opened.
If this is your case, the error will have been resolved. If this is not your situation, try the following solutions.
Solution #1 Improve Your Internet Connection
Before you embark on any actions to try and change your application, first ensure you have a stable internet connection.
The top reason why the Tinder application notification sticks around is a poor connection. With poor conditions, all the actions you take are not recorded.
There are several steps you can take to diagnose your connection and try to refresh it.
Some of the necessary steps are as follows.
- Turn off Wifi on your phone if you are on wifi. Give it a few seconds then turn it back on and test to see if the notification still stays
- Unplug your Router from power and give it a minute then plug it back into the source of power. Connect your wifi again and try testing your connection.
- If you are using your mobile data, try turning off mobile data and back on again. If this does not work, turn on the airplane mode then turn it back on.
Note: You can always test if you have stable internet by running an internet speed test.
Search for “test my internet speed” on google and click on the top organic result to see your speed.
Solution #2: Log out of the App and Log in Again
More often than not, this error is caused by a bug. An application bug can result in various types of errors.
One of the most common on Tinder is notifications not going away. Thankfully, this error can easily get fixed if you log out and back in.
How to fix the bug by logging out:
- Open your Tinder application
- Tap on the Profile icon on the top right corner of your screen
- Select Setting on the left side of the screen
- Scroll toward the lower end of the screen and tap on Logout
- Confirm to log out of the application
Once you log out of the application, you will be directed to the login page.
Enter your login details and click on log in to return to your app. This should have fixed the notification problem.
Solution #3 Clear App Data and Cache
If the above step fails, try clearing application data. Different types of data including cookies and cache on your application can cause an error.
When an application gets overloaded with data, it should be cleared.
For the Tinder application, the case is no different. Simply clear cache and app data to get the app working again.
Clear application data on Android
- Tap and hold the Tinder Application on your screen
- Tap on App Info
- Under Info select Clear Data
- Once data clears, select Clear Cache
- Confirm that you want to clear the cache if prompted
How to clear data and cache on iOS
- Go to Settings from your menu
- Select General
- Tap on iPhone Storage
- Tap on Tinder
- Choose Offload App
- Confirm by taping on Offload App again
- Select Reinstall app
This will clear all the problems associated with unwanted data.
However, in some situations, the error might still persist even after these actions.
Solution #4 Turn Off Notifications
You have the option of turning off notifications completely. Now, this is not an ideal situation if you still want to get your Tinder messages.
If you turn off notifications, you will not be notified even when you have a message. However, if you constantly check your app for activity, you can turn off notifications.
There are two ways you can turn off notifications.
You could either turn off notifications in your Tinder app settings or turn on your device. Below are the steps to turn off Tinder notifications.
Turn notification off inside Tinder
- Login to your account and tap on the Profile icon
- Tap on Settings from your Menu
- Select Notifications
- Toggle the button to turn notifications on or off
Note: If you ever need to turn the notification back on you will follow the same steps.
Turn notifications off on Android
- Open the Settings application on your phone
- Tap on Notifications on your settings menu
- Tap on App Notifications
- Select Tinder
- Toggle the button to turn off notifications
Note: On some Android devices, you may head straight to Tinder from Notifications skipping the App Notifications step.
Turn off notifications on iOS
- Open the Settings app from your Menu
- On the settings menu, select Notifications
- Tap on Tinder
- Toggle the on/off button to turn notifications off for Tinder
Solution #5 Uninstall and Reinstall Tinder App Again
In case you do not want to turn notifications off entirely, you may just uninstall the app and install it again.
This step will clear any type of error that is causing the notification to stick.
However, you may also be required to clear application data before uninstalling.
Follow the instructions in solution#2 above first before uninstalling the application.
Steps to uninstall the application
- Press and hold your Tinder application on the phone
- For Android select Uninstall
- For iOS tap on Remove
- Confirm deletion or uninstallation to complete the process
This should clear all errors in regard to notifications. Now go to the Appstore for your device, search for Tinder and install it again.
Note: If your app does not ask for login details after you download, chances are that you have not cleared app data.
You must clear application data to prevent the same problem from occurring again.
To solve the Tinder notification won’t go away error, you should start by ruling out minor causes.
Issues such as poor connection should not cause you to start uninstalling your application. It is therefore prudent to start by diagonalizing the minor issues and then advance to the major ones.
In either case, the steps above are sufficient to help you get your app running smoothly. If you are not successful up to this point, you may have to call Tinder for help.
Read Next: If You Delete Tinder App Does It Unmatch?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.