Oculus Quest 2 game won’t install, and you’re wondering why? Well, keep reading further!
The Oculus Quest 2 is a VR headset developed by Reality Labs and supports all software and games made for the first-generation model.
However, the true hurdle comes when games won’t install on the headset, and this is why, in this read, we’ll walk you through the complete solution!
When Oculus Quest 2 games won’t install, power cycle the VR headset and free up some available storage for the software. If the fault is persistent, verify that the WiFi connection is intact, attempt to download and install different games, and factory reset your Oculus!
Let’s continue to unwrap!
Why Won’t My Game Install on Oculus Quest 2?
We know how bothersome it is to purchase a game only to realize that you can’t download and install the app on your Oculus Quest 2.
However, we assure you that this is a well-known bug, and by the end of this guide, you’ll be able to download, install, and play your favorite games!
Here are all the reasons why Oculus Quest 2 games are not installing:
The guide below will discuss and tackle each possibility, so let’s jump in!
How To Fix When an Oculus Quest 2 Game Won’t Install?
Tip: Follow the steps in chronological order!
1. Install from the Library or Store!
The games on your Oculus Quest can be purchased from the Oculus Store and installed from the Library.
Well, sometimes, when you purchase a game, the software may not immediately appear in the Library, so you must check whether you can download the game from the Store.
So, open the Oculus Store and find the game you would like to install.
If the device prompts you to install the game this way, then follow the steps to install the software on your Oculus Quest 2.
Tip: Also check whether the game is downloadable from the Oculus Quest 2 Library!
2. Charge Your Oculus Quest Fully
The next step is to fully charge your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset by connecting the USB-C cord to the right side of the device.
When you connect the Oculus Quest to the power, the indication LED light on the left side of your Meta VR headset should turn into a solid orange/amber light.
- Keep your Oculus Quest 2 plugged in for at least 15 minutes!
Charging your Oculus Quest 2 to a sufficient battery level is essential because the games may not install due to a battery throttle.
So, if your Oculus VR headset is charged, but the games are still not installed correctly, try the power circulation…
How to Power Cycle Oculus Quest?
- First, verify that your Oculus Quest is turned “ON.”
- Then, find the Power button on the right-hand side.
- Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.
- Your Oculus Quest 2 should entirely power “OFF.”
- Wait for 60 seconds with your Oculus discharging.
- Finally, turn on the headset with the Power button.
Note: When the power cycle is complete, your Oculus might take a few minutes to load!
3. Free Up Storage on Your Oculus
One of the most frequent causes why Oculus Quest can’t install games is insufficient storage!
The VR headset requires available storage to save the games you want to install; whenever the space is full, you won’t be able to install games.
On your Oculus Quest 2, the storage may be occupied by other games, files, and recordings, and luckily you can delete them selectively.
To free up storage on Oculus Quest, you may need to delete something!
How to Delete Games & Apps on Oculus?
- Verify that your Oculus Quest 2 is turned on.
- Then, enter the “Library” from the task dock.
- Next, enter the “Settings” and go to “Storage.”
- Verify that the “This Headset” tile is selected.
- Info: Here you can see the available storage.
- Next, scroll down to select apps and games.
- Select the Trash Bin next to the selected app.
- Choose “Uninstall” when the prompt appears.
How to Delete Recordings on Oculus Quest?
- Ensure that your Oculus Quest 2 is working.
- From your dock, navigate to the “Files” app.
- In the files, find the file you would like erased.
- Then, select the three-dots menu next to it.
- Select “Delete and Unsync” to erase the file.
Tip: When downloading a game 3 GB in size, verify that your Oculus Quest 2 has at least 6 GB of available storage space.
4. Verify the Oculus Quest Internet
One of the fundamental requirements for downloading and installing games on an Oculus Quest is a working internet connection.
The Oculus Quest connects to the internet via WiFi, so you must verify that the VR headset is connected and test your internet network’s accessibility.
There are two critical factors–the WiFi connection and the internet supply.
Hence, whenever your Oculus Quest 2 is not connected or your broadband is down, you won’t be able to install games on your VR headset. So, here is what you need to do…
How to Uplift Internet/WiFi Connection?
Here are some nifty ways to optimize your internet and uplift your wireless network:
- Test your internet and WiFi network connection.
- Power cycle your network router for 60 seconds.
- Unpair unused devices from the WiFi connection.
- Relocate your Oculus Quest closer to the router.
- Stop downloading or uploading on other devices.
How to Connect Oculus Quest to WiFi?
When you’re confident that your internet network is intact, connect Oculus to the WiFi:
- From the main screen dock, go to “Apps.”
- Then, enter the “Settings” from the tabs.
- From the menu on the right, go to “Wi-Fi.”
- Select the WiFi and insert the password.
Note: When your Oculus Quest 2 is reconnected to the WiFi, try to install your game!
5. Factory Reset Your Oculus Quest
If nothing helps, and you’re unable to install games on your Oculus Quest, you must factory reset the VR headset, which will revert all settings to default.
Warning: The factory reset process erases all your games, files, and settings!
Recommended: Backup Your Content!
To save your content from deletion on Oculus Quest 2, go to Settings > System > Backup and toggle on the “Cloud Backup” feature.
Then, you’ll have to wait a few hours for your data to be uploaded and saved, and then you can safely proceed with the factory reset.
Here’s how to factory reset Oculus Quest 2 in easy steps:
- First, verify that the Oculus Quest device is turned off.
- Press the Power & Volume (-) buttons simultaneously.
- Use the Volume button to hover over “Factory Reset.”
- To select the option, press the “Power” headset button.
- Use the Volume to highlight “Yes” and Power to select.
There is no going back when the factory reset process has been started.
You should now wait until the VR headset is completely reset and complete the initialization, which involves setting up basic settings and connecting to the internet.
Reminder: When installing games on Oculus Quest 2, attempt to unpack them from the Library and the Oculus Store.
6. Try to Install Different VR Games!
Well, if nothing helps, it’s not excluded that the selected game cannot be downloaded now due to an issue with the servers.
Sadly, you can’t check whether this is true or not since games are typically supplied by different providers, and most of them are stored on different servers/places.
- So, try to download a different game on your Oculus Quest 2!
The general goal is to identify whether you can’t install only the game you’ve selected or you are unable to install games on your Oculus Quest in general.
If you find out that you’re unable to get any games on your VR headset, then it’s time to seek further assistance from a professional.
Need More Help?
If you can’t install games on your Oculus Quest 2 even after attempting the solutions from this guide, perhaps something else is causing the problem.
The next step would be to contact Meta Customer Service and report the problem you’ve been facing for additional support and care.
Hence, when the Oculus Quest 2 game won’t install, try to download the software from the Store or Library, and if it doesn’t work, verify the headset’s WiFi connection.
Also, you must free up some available storage and perform a factory reset on your Quest 2!
Follow us for more Oculus Quest 2 troubleshooting!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.