Fetch Box not responding to remote? This is a common issue, so continue reading further!
This is such a headache when you push the buttons on the remote, but in response, the box doesn’t react.
Such behaviour indicates an issue with the batteries, remote hardware, signal communication or a software problem with the Fetch TV box.
Let’s learn more…
To get your Fetch TV box to respond to your remote, power cycle the device, replace the batteries, and check the IR sensor on the box. Next, check the box connections and reset the Fetch TV receiver and your remote.
Let’s now unwrap what could be the underlying reasons!
Why is Fetch TV Box Not Responding to Remote?
The Fetch Box not responding to the remote can be either because the remote has low battery power or there is any physical object blocking the line of sight.
In rare cases, the issue could be due to loose physical connections, but it is most frequently related to a connection with an incompatible HDMI port.
Here is everything that could cause your Fetch box not to respond:
Now, let’s dive into the troubleshooting solutions!
How to Fix Fetch Box Not Responding to Remote?
In the below section, we are about to unwrap several proven ways that will allow you to get your box to respond to the remote in no time.
Tip: Ensure to implement all the steps in consecutive order!
1. Power Cycle Your Fetch Box
In most cases, the problem is not with your remote control but your Fetch TV box.
This includes temporal electrical or software glitches in the box’s system.
Power cycling your Fetch box helps clear all problematic glitches or errors and restore the system functionality in a matter of minutes.
To power cycle your Fetch TV box, follow these steps:
- Unplug the box’s power lead from the wall outlet.
- Then, wait for about 3–5 minutes for a discharge.
- Next, plug the power lead back into the wall outlet.
After you are done, test the Fetch TV box by pressing any button on the remote control.
If power cycling doesn’t seem to resolve your issue, continue reading…
2. Replace Your Remote’s Batteries
Sometimes, the reason for your Fetch box not responding to the remote is drained or dead batteries.
The remote requires adequate power to send IR signals and operate with your TV.
If it has low or dead batteries installed, you must replace them with new ones.
Otherwise, none of your button inputs will be registered, and the Fetch TV box will not respond to your remote.
To replace the Fetch remote batteries, follow these instructions:
- Slide down the compartment cover off of the remote.
- Then, carefully take out the already inserted batteries.
- Embed the new batteries according to the polarity (+/-).
- Place the cover back and press it until you hear a click.
- Press any button on the remote to check if it now works.
Note: Fetch remote controls use 2 x AAA batteries, and you can quickly get them online or from local stores. We recommend using only high-quality units.
3. Clean Your Remote’s Battery Bed
If your Fetch TV box is still not responding to your remote even with new batteries, the remote’s battery contacts are possibly dirty or loose.
Except for dirt and other obstructions, you must pay attention to the polarity springs and whether they are bent, missing, broken or somehow faulty.
You must perform a thorough inspection of the remote’s battery bed to rule out this possibility!
Here are the easy steps to do this:
- Slide down the battery compartment cover.
- Then, take the batteries out of your remote.
- Dip a cotton swab/cloth into a rubbing alcohol.
- Wipe the metal contacts/springs on each side.
- Let the area dry completely using a dry cotton.
- Insert the (new) batteries back into the remote.
- Slide the battery cover back and test the remote.
Tip: If the battery contacts/springs are heavily corroded, remove the rust build-up using a small wire brush and gently repetitive wipes.
4. Check the Box and Remote IR Sensor
If none of the above solutions works and your Fetch box is not responding, inspect the IR bulb of your Fetch TV box and remote.
When one of the IR sensors, either on the remote or on the box, is obstructed, covered or defective, the IR communication won’t go through.
To check the IR sensor on your Fetch box, follow these steps:
- Locate the IR sensors on the Fetch box and remote.
- Inspect the sensor for any visible cracks or damage.
- Grab a clean cloth and gently clean the sensor bulb.
- Open the camera application on your smartphone.
- Point the remote facing towards the phone’s camera.
- Hold any button on the remote and look at the screen.
You should see a flashing light on the camera screen from your remote’s IR sensor.
If you see a light, it indicates your remote is functional.
You must replace your remote if you don’t see a light, which means the remote is not sending IR signals.
Info: The light should be flickering in purplish colour!
5. Inspect Your Box HDMI Connection
You need an HDMI cable to connect the Fetch box to your TV so the output monitor can display the box’s playout stream.
If you’ve connected the HDMI cord to an incorrect port or set your TV to the wrong source, pressing some of the buttons on the Fetch remote control will do nothing.
The chances are you may get problems like no picture/sound or no response, which is highly likely to be caused by the source you’ve selected.
To rule this out, inspect your Fetch box HDMI connection:
- First, unplug the TV and Fetch box from the outlet.
- Remove the HDMI cable from the box and the TV.
- Inspect the cable and ports for visible damages.
- Firmly reconnect the HDMI wire back into the place.
- If possible, connect the HDMI to a different TV port.
Tip: After you are done checking the connection, press the “123…” and “Av Text” buttons on the remote and choose the correct input source.
6. Re-Pair Your Remote (Bluetooth Only)
If you have a Bluetooth voice remote, then the remote connection with your Fetch TV box may be disrupted or lost due to Bluetooth interference.
If your TV box is still not responding to the remote, re-pair your voice remote to rule out any programming issues that may be your culprit.
To pair the Fetch Bluetooth voice remote:
- Point your Bluetooth voice remote at the Fetch TV box.
- Press and hold the “Microphone” button on your remote.
- Wait for the “Pairing Remote…” message on the screen.
- Then, you’ll see a confirmation once the remote is paired.
Once the remote is paired with your Fetch box, the light bulb on your remote will flash green on pressing any button on the remote.
This generally means that the Fetch remote is working and sending IR signals, but your box is not responding, then those signals are not being registered.
Note: Ensure you use the Bluetooth voice remote within 10 metres of the Fetch box!
7. Use the Fetch Remote App (Workaround)
If none of the above methods works and your Fetch box is not responding to the remote, use the Fetch Mobile app to control the Fetch box.
This is one of the free and handy solutions to control your Fetch TV box from your smartphone.
Important: The only requirement is for your Fetch box to be connected to Wi-Fi and your smartphone to be on the same Wi-Fi.
To use the Fetch Mobile app as an alternative:
- Visit the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Download and install the Fetch Mobi App.
- Enter the Fetch Mobile App on the device.
- Press on the “Sign in” in the top right corner.
- Enter your Fetch ID and tap Next to sign in.
- Then, tap on the below “Remote” button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and pair.
That’s it! Now, simply use the app’s interface and control your Fetch box as you would with an original remote.
You’ll see each button you need, and the functionality will rely on Wi-Fi entirely, bypassing all the physical limitations of the original infrared (IR) communication.
8. Reset Your Fetch TV Box & Remote
If you’ve reached this step and your Fetch TV box is still not responding to the remote, reset it.
Remember that resetting the box will erase all the customisation and configuration you made.
So, only do it as a last resort.
Here’s how to reset your Fetch box and remote:
To Reset the Fetch TV Box:
- Power OFF your Fetch TV box from the outlet.
- After 30 seconds, turn the Fetch box back on
- Within two minutes of restarting the Fetch box:
- For Soft Reset: Press → Red → Green → Yellow → Blue on the remote.
- For Hard Reset: Press → Blue → Yellow → Green → Red on the remote.
Tip: Keep pressing these buttons in the order until the R and Paw light flashes!
To Reset the Fetch Remote Control:
- Press the Back and Exit button on the remote.
- After ∿3 seconds, the remote will flash twice.
- Within 10 seconds, press the following buttons:
- On the remote, press the 9 → 7 → 7 in order.
After you are done, the Fetch remote will flash four times, indicating that the remote is reset.
You must set up your Fetch TV box and remote from scratch and test whether the problem is now solved.
Note: If the issue persists, contact Fetch TV Support for additional assistance!
To fix the Fetch box not responding to remote, power cycle the box, replace the batteries, and check the IR sensor on the box.
Next, check the box’s connections and reset the TV box and remote to factory settings.
Follow us for more Fetch TV guides!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.